+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thorens TD124

I'm Simon.

Ok I have the TD124 out of the box and on the table its very clean some paint damage to the edge of the arm board, and slight bubbling under the platter.

The motor mount bushes look pretty shot so they are on the order list.

The main bearing spindle looks very clean as does the bottom of the bearing housing.

The only problem I have found so far is that the fine speed adjust link bar is slipping when the adjustment is turned.
    It looks like the spring is stuck so no pressure is being applied to the link bar.

Does anyone know how this mechanism should work?
    Source: Thorens TD124 Rega RB300, Sumiko bluepoint No2., Cambridge Audio D500 Special Edition CDP, Squeeze box Touch, PC with Trends Audio USB Audio DAC UD-10 Amplification: Croft Micro 25 basic pre, Leak Stereo 20, Trends Audio Class T TA-10, Fisher X100-A Speakers:Impulse H6 Interconnects: Handmade silver and TNT audio CAT5 speaker cables

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by simon e View Post
    Ok I have the TD124 out of the box and on the table its very clean some paint damage to the edge of the arm board, and slight bubbling under the platter.

The motor mount bushes look pretty shot so they are on the order list.

The main bearing spindle looks very clean as does the bottom of the bearing housing.

The only problem I have found so far is that the fine speed adjust link bar is slipping when the adjustment is turned.
    It looks like the spring is stuck so no pressure is being applied to the link bar.

Does anyone know how this mechanism should work?
    You can apply more pressure on the fine speed adjust link bar, by slackening the grub screw of the sliding collar at the opposite end of the shaft of the speed adjustment knob, and moving it up to squeeze the 'wavy' spring washer. Then tighten up the grub screw.
    Barry

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You can apply more pressure on the fine speed adjust link bar, by slackening the grub screw of the sliding collar at the opposite end of the shaft of the speed adjustment knob, and moving it up to squeeze the 'wavy' spring washer. Then tighten up the grub screw.
    Hi Barry, I have the sliding collar a small washer/spacer which sits inside the link bar and above that is another washer I think and a coil spring. but this coil spring is not exerting any pressure on the link bar.

I have moved the sliding collar up as much as I can and tightened it to no avail.
    Source: Thorens TD124 Rega RB300, Sumiko bluepoint No2., Cambridge Audio D500 Special Edition CDP, Squeeze box Touch, PC with Trends Audio USB Audio DAC UD-10 Amplification: Croft Micro 25 basic pre, Leak Stereo 20, Trends Audio Class T TA-10, Fisher X100-A Speakers:Impulse H6 Interconnects: Handmade silver and TNT audio CAT5 speaker cables

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hi Barry, I have the sliding collar a small washer/spacer which sits inside the link bar and above that is another washer I think and a coil spring. but this coil spring is not exerting any pressure on the link bar.

I have moved the sliding collar up as much as I can and tightened it to no avail.
    The method I described was how I solved the same problem that you are having: the lack of friction between the fine-speed adjustment knob/shaft and the flat strip that operates the eddy-current damper.

It was some time ago, so I'll have a closer look at the assembly to remind myself, as my description might be inaccurate.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-01-2012 at 11:42. Reason: grammar
    Barry

I'm Charlie.

I had two TD124s - sold them when I got my Platine Verdier. Great TTs. I used squash balls cut in half as my rubber mushrooms - much cheaper and they come in different grades (blue, red, white and yellow dots depending on how hard/soft you want)

I'm Simon.

Default spirit level,

Does anyone know if you can get replacement spirit levels for the TD124. mine seems to have set, the bubble remains in the middle no matter the angle of the TT

I'm Hugo.

The spirit level on my TD124 looks OK but is way out of true, and I've not had the confidence to do anything about it. I know that some people have sourced new levels on eBay but I can't find anything out there at the moment.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    The spirit level on my TD124 looks OK but is way out of true, and I've not had the confidence to do anything about it. I know that some people have sourced new levels on eBay but I can't find anything out there at the moment.
    Yeah I did a quick google search and ebay and didn't find anything.

I'm Simon.

Default a few pics

A few pictures of my 124

window and blanking plate for the stroke are out as I'm cleaning and painting them.

I think the bearing looks in pretty good condition have ordered a service kit from Joel, so I can replace the felt pads and re oil it.
    Discovered tonight that the motor must have been worked on before as nuts/bolts are fitted not rivets.

I'm Hugo.

Discovered tonight that the motor must have been worked on before as nuts/bolts are fitted not rivets.
    From the picture above, the motor looks to have its bottom bearing cap still attached by the original rivets. Are you referring to the bolts/nuts holding the top and bottom in place, in which case that's how they were originally made Whatever, it will almost certainly benefit from a re-lube job.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast