+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Thorens TD124

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Sounds about right, no motor synchronous motor is totally silent.
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by simon e View Post
    Ok so I've just out the motor back together. Now how quietly should this run?

At the moment with the top and bottom covers still loose. All I can hear is a whirring sound with my ear up close to the motor.
    That's normal.

Sounds about right, no motor synchronous motor is totally silent.
    I thought that the Thorens motor is a shaded pole induction type

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    I thought that the Thorens motor is a shaded pole induction type
    Well it's an AC motor that runs off of the mains no? Lets not split hairs here.

Either way as we both stated it is normal to hear a whirring noise...

I have never owned a Thorens so I couldn't tell you what's under the hood

As long as it's driven by AC it could have a phase shifting cap or be shaded pole (they do the same trick by making a rotating magnetic field) & either will make the same kind of whirring noise...

Whirr
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Simon.

Cleaned out the main bearing replaced the thrust pad and seal, oiled the idler wheel and stepped pullley and replaced the belt.

As soon as I fitted the belt and tested it the noise level noticeably increased. Think I may need to talk the inside of the belt.

Also playing with the magnet position I can get the Tt to run at the correct speed but can not get it to run fast even with the magnet pulled right away from the pulley.

With a quick set up and a old technics mm cartridge in the arm and the deck on the coffee table, its currently sounding quite flat, But I still need to replace the motor geommets, mushrooms and plinth feet. And mount the deck on a better rack. Also the phono stage on my croft is brand new and I'm sure it needs to burn in.
    Source: Thorens TD124 Rega RB300, Sumiko bluepoint No2., Cambridge Audio D500 Special Edition CDP, Squeeze box Touch, PC with Trends Audio USB Audio DAC UD-10 Amplification: Croft Micro 25 basic pre, Leak Stereo 20, Trends Audio Class T TA-10, Fisher X100-A Speakers:Impulse H6 Interconnects: Handmade silver and TNT audio CAT5 speaker cables

I'm Simon.

Ok So a quick update on the 124, I have been running the turntable a bit to let the motor bed in which seems to be working nicely as now after an hour or so I have to use the fine adjuster to slow the deck down a little bit.

I have only listened to it a little bit as I'm still waiting on bits to finish the rack. So to listen to it it has been sat on the coffee table. Which is why I think its still sounding a bit flat at present.

The new Geltec anti vibration mounts I ordered from RS arrived today so I have been busy replacing the motor mounts tonight as you can see in the pictures below.

So Just need to talc the belt, fit new mushroom and oak domes to the bottom of the plinth, and fit the new cartridge and it should be finished.
    Source: Thorens TD124 Rega RB300, Sumiko bluepoint No2., Cambridge Audio D500 Special Edition CDP, Squeeze box Touch, PC with Trends Audio USB Audio DAC UD-10 Amplification: Croft Micro 25 basic pre, Leak Stereo 20, Trends Audio Class T TA-10, Fisher X100-A Speakers:Impulse H6 Interconnects: Handmade silver and TNT audio CAT5 speaker cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234