+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrard 301 restoration project

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's Update - The Garrard Project Pt XX - More rebuild pix

Part of the Idler housing frame rebuilt. New isolation grommets, springs, everything has been ultrasonically cleaned and polished. I've retouched the red paint.

Another picture but the reverse side

A bit more of a break down.

Lastly. The new 5N pure silver leads for the Ortofon Royal N SPU when it arrives.

SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's Update - The Garrard Project Pt XXI - She's spinning vinyl again...

Running a 60 year old TT is never easy but if you set the thing up properly and do regularly service work it should give decades of pleasure and this is exactly
    what's happened with me over the last seven years with only the Idler wheel to give me any grief. I suspect the bushing probably lost some tolerance but a quick ebay purchase from AudioSilente in Italy procured two new bushing with supposed better tolerance that the older ones. Whom am I to argue? My Idler wheel went of to Martin Bastin who promptly gave it a once over and checked my work. The idler wheel was reinstalled into the new rebuilt idler wheel housing.

One of the really great things about running a 301 is the lack of after market jack fuckery where everyone has a modification to lift your deck to the next level. OK, bearings and platter do exist but largely they remain unreviewed and we'll never have any idea if these after market baubles lift the sonic level of the 301 because the cost so bleeding much! I have noticed a couple of new idler wheels for the 301 and the 401, one is the widely respected AudioSilente idler wheel and another is a new Russian variant. Audiosilente is widely respected and seems to get the thumbs-up from the upper echelons of Garrard Guru's and restorers. I'm happy to splash the cash as a new idler wheel is always useful. So after a little single malt $120 left my paypal account and it should be hopefully arriving in the next few weeks. I have to say that the original Garrard idler wheel is still king. My Garrard 401 idler wheel is also a little noisy so I may end up experimenting here as well with my new purchases.

The Audiosilente Idler Wheel

idler wheel.jpg

The 301 is now silent, no knocking and only a very faint whiff of motor noise can be heard with your ear right up to the platter. I'm very pleased with the outcome. I wasn't so pleased when the 301 developed a ground loop hum. In sheer desperation I sent of my 3012 for a check over at Audio Origami, all ok. Still ground loop hum. I decided to remove the power lead from the 301 and then inspiration struck, I noticed the power lead housing nut touching the motor, could this be the cause of the ground loop hum? It was probably also the cause of vibration going back into the platter. I rewired the motor, repositioned the nut and hey presto a hum free Garrard 301 and SME 3012 tonearm, RESULT!

My SME 3012 has always suffered from only just having enough VTA clearance and I'd been making a new thicker
    SME arm mount for quite some time but never really finishing it. Today saw the arrival of a Dremel 4000 and what a monster, 35,000 ROM of spinning madness, and after a couple of hours I have a nice new tonearm mount. It's twice the thickness of the old mount and aesthetically it looks and fits better than the old square thing that I made. I can also now use the tonearm shield arm wire shield that's supposed to suppress EMI/RFI etc, I don't know if this helps but it's now installed. I also repaired the 3012 tonearm grounding wire, I've never really needed to use it before as hum has never been a problem. I've now grounded the tonearm to the 301 chassis, well, it can't hurt, can it?? My SME 3012 has also been modified now to accept a 5 pin din plug cables and by doing it this way with have removed a whole layer of connections and solder from the signal path. I also purchase some new isolation grommets for the SME tonearm mount, my others were completely flat and probably offered no isolation whatsoever. All I need now is one meter of 3mm threaded rod to make some mounting rods and I can finally spin vinyl. All these modifications will hopefully work and bring some benefits. I'm also hoping to get my Shure SC35C project up and running as well, it's only been 2 months!!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's Update - The Garrard Project Pt XXII - More equipment than Quatermass experiment.

In a bid to get the most from all my decks I bought an oscilloscope in a bid to make sure that I was getting the best out of my cartridges with respects to channel separation. Stereo imaging should improve but I need to wait for my latest purchases to be delivered before I can comment any further. I also saw this on the Audiograil website

yyX2ylVh.jpg

Its called a wavebreak and acts to stiffen the chassis and as a tuned mass damper. So I decided to have a go at making my own, and so after a bit of time learning about vibration assessment I ordered a vibration meter to help me assess just what's going on with the 301's chassis and if anything can be done to damp the vibrations from the motor getting into the platter and bearing. Time well tell. It's all good fun, so with a little luck I should have a better setup with the cartridge and less vibration, but as always it's about how it sounds that matters.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's Update - The Garrard Project Pt XXIII - A few treat's for the 301.

Well I abandoned the Wavebreak for the time being and decided to concentrate on fine tuning the SPU. I purchased a Fozgometer which turned out to be a hell of a lot easier to use than a Scope. The 301 now has the SPU setup with both cartridge channels centralised. I have also ordered a top of the range Yannis Tome tonearm cable! Things should start to sound pretty bloody good!

Stay tuned.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Does anyone want another update on this?
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Yes please
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

And this is how this 10 year plus development sounds...

SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Matt.

What is going on with the on/off leaver? I notice on one of your other films a periphery ring clamp - What make it that?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever.
    www.sellgarrard301.com

I'm Andrew.

Hi, Matt. Nice to hear from you again. I've been doing a little work "under the hood" of the 301 and forgot to correctly tighten and align the nut holding the on/off linkages together, nothing series. It me be lazy to be honest. The ring clamp is an excellent idea, I got mine from Wayne's Audio over in the states. I'd say that it offers more solidity and coherance when in use, there is a certain "ease" to the soundstage. It adds a little mass to the platter which is supposed to improve bass (or so i'm told), I mainly use it to help correct warps in vinyl. It's a little bit of a faff but worth the effort. It's weird but some recordings seem to sound better than others when I use it, very much trial and error.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Matt.

I've found ring clamps work well with Mono Recordings (I'm sure there are numerous technical reasons for this) I have an old TT weights one with the perspex disc locator. I rarely use it but as you say on dished or edge warped records it is invaluable.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever.
    www.sellgarrard301.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast