+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrard 301 restoration project

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    I'm interested on how you experimented the effects of feedback through the stylus . Can you explain how you did it, or give me a call if you don't fancy doing a load of typing.
    Ahh, yes I was explaining that the other day to Brian. I will give you a call sometime over the weekend and let you know. Its VERY unconventional.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

Can’t wait.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's Update - The Garrard Project Pt XXXI - 18 Adult Rated!!!

The 301/3012 combo have a combined age of over 110 and have given me pleasure (and quite a bit of frustration) over the last 10 years. The 3012 is knocking on a bit and has from time to time lost a channel, I think I may have finally found the culprit. It looks like it could be the 4-pin cartridge connection at the end of the tonearm. The connector has 4 spring loaded pins which are pressed down when a cartridge is screwed and locked into place. It looks like one of my springs has failed on the pin with the pin being in a permanently depressed position and hence no connection. So, I'm on the hunt for a new one. It's a quick call to SME tomorrow to see if they might have one, if not then it's a case of hunting one down second hand or buying the expensive version from AudioSilente . I've also noticed the the Yoke on the 3012 has a slightly bent anti-bias column so I've managed to source of the older longer versions and finally I've bought some new coupling rubbers as the counterweight appears to sag a little. Hopefully these little tweaks will keep the 3012 going for many years to come.

As ever stay tuned.....
    Last edited by Wakefield Turntables; 01-07-2023 at 19:15.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's Update - The Garrard Project Pt XXXII - Nearing the end....

I've finally managed to get my finger out of my backside and got on the phone to SME, £104 spent and I now have a proper SME 3012 cartridge bayonet to fit into the end of the 3012 tonearm and hopefully cure the intermittent loss of the right channel once and for all. The 3012 should be performing really well as it's had several new components including a new Yoke and coupling rubbers for the counter weight and now a new bayonet connector. The Silver Meister II SPU has also been retipped with a FGS profile diamond so things should sound pretty bloody good. Too bad I'm going to Spain for a week. Most likely all my spare parts will be delivered and waiting when I get back.

Now the 301 may recieve another 2nd arm and a new plinth, I'm undecided. I do have a very very special valve MM phonostage on delivery should the deal go through and it's something which I've always wanted to have in the 301 system and that's a phonostage just for MI/MM carts, and also be used for MONO duties. The Rek-o-Kut equalizer III will also get some usage for older 78 and MONO recordings as I get them. More on the new MM phonostage later, with some pictures. For the time being my 401 is being pressed into action and I'm enjoying that with some other kit.

Stay tuned....
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm James.

Excited to hear and see the valve phono stage.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Excited to hear and see the valve phono stage.
    It needs to arrive and then be in working order! I'll not know for another week.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Glad to hear SME were able to help with the bayonet connector, though £104 seems a lot to charge. But that's SME for you.
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

What's the alternative? You can always buy one from ebay and then run the gauntlet of it not working and then you could always look for a scrap 3009 or 3012 and then pay silly money for that and possibly not working as well. £104 is very steep but it's hopefully piece of mind. That's the problem with running vintage kit.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Enjoy your holiday mate
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Enjoy your holiday mate
    Thanks!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast