+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leak Transmission Line 2075 Speakers

I'm Andrew.

Default Leak Transmission Line 2075 Speakers

Been offered a pair of these for £350 is this a good deal or not?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Adam (Beobloke) is probably the best person to answer, as he exhibited a pair at Scalford - they were pretty good, great bass as you'd expect with 15" drivers - I'm not sure on the price, but doesn't sound too far off.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

If you are thinking of replacing the ATCs then forget it As a second system they will be okay though. I'm not sure they are transmission lines either in all honesty, more like a slot ported reflex with tons of damping material stuffed in there from what I saw
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Imjustsurviving.

price is good
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

They're big, I suspect they're LOUD!!!!!!! But in proper HiFi terms, I'm not sure the colourations could be got round these days, despite all the faff that went into the drivers at the time - a four-way crossover in dire need of an update and re-vamp..

Just my impressions, but you'll be blown away by how "big" they sound by modern standards, but how they'd do long term is anyone's guess I'm afraid...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    If you are thinking of replacing the ATCs then forget it As a second system they will be okay though. I'm not sure they are transmission lines either in all honesty, more like a slot ported reflex with tons of damping material stuffed in there from what I saw
    They are just another set of speakers for the collectio and not a replacement for the ATC's, chance would be a fine thing

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    price is good
    Thanks mate, will try and get them cheaper if I can

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    They're big, I suspect they're LOUD!!!!!!! But in proper HiFi terms, I'm not sure the colourations could be got round these days, despite all the faff that went into the drivers at the time - a four-way crossover in dire need of an update and re-vamp..

Just my impressions, but you'll be blown away by how "big" they sound by modern standards, but how they'd do long term is anyone's guess I'm afraid...
    Thanks for your comments, as for refurb and rebuild, this dosen't phase me I've done a few pairs of speakers now so its not a big thing!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Shane.

If you've got room for them, you should definitely give them a try. They're very much of their time, but the things they do well they do really well, and after all, you could always flog the house, move into the cabs and retire on the proceeds!

My least favourite memory of 2075s was delivering a pair to a third-floor flat on my own. That was 35 years ago and I still get twinges...
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Adam.

£350 is a good price for a pair of 2075s but check them thoroughly before committing. Look for:

(1) Bass, upper midrange and lower midrange drivers scraping or, at worst, jammed. These can ‘sag’ over the years, causing the voice coil to rub. A quick fix is to pop the drivers out, rotate them through 180 degrees and carry on, but it’s not really a proper repair. The upper mid drivers were used on a number of other Leak and Wharfedale speakers from the 1970s and do pop up on eBay fairly often, but the 2075s use a different mounting escutcheon so a bit of drilling will be required to fit those from a different speaker. Also remember, any other drivers you buy are just as old and likely to be rubbing just as badly, or even worse! The lower mid driver and the bass driver are unique to the 2075s so replacements are few and far between.

(2)Tweeter wiring – this can fracture where the voice coil is soldered to the tag panel. Repair is not difficult but requires a steady hand and some heat shunt tweezers.

Operation-wise you won’t hear them anywhere near their best until you do the following:

(1) REPLACE THE WIRING! The stuff that Leak used is appalling and actually removes a bit of the bass frequency range.

(2) Update the resistors and capacitors in the crossover. There is no need to go silly on most of them, although it is worth spending a bit extra on the couple that directly feed the tweeter as this improves its performance and sweetens it up no end.

(3) Did I mention replacing the wiring?

Sound-wise, I love them! As Dave says, they have a properly ‘big’ sound with super midrange and lots of detail. Bass is ‘healthy’ although you may be surprised initially by the way in which they appear a little light sounding. This is because the lower half of the bass cabinet is very solid and doesn’t boom. Stick on your favourite bass torture test track, however, and you’ll soon find that there’s not much missing at the low end. For me, the only thing that I really hear that could be improved upon is their upper bass/lower mid which is a trifle bloated. This is down to the upper half of the bass cabinet which is a bit resonant. I suspect some extra bracing or some sound deadening on the panels would help a great deal here, and is something I shall be doing when we move house and mine come out of storage and into my new, bigger listening room.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread