+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My(fastfred) H.H. Scott 299B project (re....photo bucket exp...)

I'm Frederick.

Default My(fastfred) H.H. Scott 299B project (re....photo bucket exp...)

I've taken some pictures of a vintage tube amp that is going to be a project for over the winter. I'm not that great at soldering, so I've enlisted the aid of a friend to help with what I can't do. Here's what my tech buddy is looking at parts wise. I'll be looking after some metal work & a wooden sleeve cabinet for that funky retro look.
    This little unit has a summed center channel output, how cool is that?

1. CAPS computer grade electrolytics where possible. can type as last resort (best quality can types possible)

2. Intermediate Value cap, Spragues. "22 of the higher value capacitors will be replaced with Auricaps".

3. Silver mica low value caps. 4. replace tube sockets ..... doing research 5. bias pots ( j pots) if possible

6.100 x 1% metal film resistors. 20 x 2% metal oxide resistors for the rest, except for wirewound resistors 2x 20 Watt and one 10 watt, for power supply.

7. Wire - teflon coated copper plus our choice of best quality shielded wire.

8. Vacum tubes 2 x 6BL8, 4 X 12AX7, 4 X EL-84, 1 X 5AR4 Which is the best solution lets go with Russian made or maybe find the best of each tube type & go with that.

9. Aluminum bottom cover. 10. Rca jacks??? still doing research

11. replace speaker terminal blocks with the best we can find.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fastfred; 16-12-2011 at 14:20. Reason: images didn't up load

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Looks like a very interesting project Fred - and a lovely looking amp - good luck with it, and remember to keep us updated with lots of piccies, please!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Lovely amp Fred, you can sell it to me whern you're done with it
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    Lovely amp Fred, you can sell it to me whern you're done with it
    Only if you sell the Lafayette to me first

I'm Frederick.

Default Andre & Jonboy

Sorry gentlemen the only way I'll be selling this is if it sounds bad. While noodling on this Scott 299B project, I remembered some old issues of VTV, with 2 articles on the H.H. Scott 200 series integrated amps from the Golden Age of HI/FI. I decided to scan & upload these articles to my website. Suddenly a eureka moment. check out my website & if possible your thoughts(www.audiofyle.com). I'd be more than willing to donate my time & scan the magazine issues I have, and start a dedicated website. Maybe this should be a new topic.

......................... Fred Petersen (fastfred)

+ Reply to Thread