+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 12 and proud

I'm Stu.

I had a lp12 for a while recently -i'd always wanted one from being 14/15 in the 80s.
    Lasted about 2 weeks and was soon replaced with a 1210 -bought off ebay (ive ranted on about my woes of this elsewhere so won't go into it again). I absolutely love it -mk 5 arm (shit i need to send a cheque to someone on the wam - sorry if you read this -i'll pm you) Dl110 and achromat.
    Its rock solid, simple to use and does its job without complaining or needing constant attention! I used to have a couple for Djing and i know this deck is going to last forever.
    Perhaps the next upgrade will be Daves Sorthobane feet and getting someone to build me a nice box for it as moneys too tight to mention for the seperate psu, rewire etc.

MartinT Guest

The anti-Linn rants in here remind me that I feel exactly the same about Naim amps. Take a bog-standard manufacturer's application note, over hype the power supplies and sell to people who value in-your-face presentation with no subtlety, no detail, no stereo soundstage and few spatial cues. But perhaps this isn't the place...

My very favourite turntable, which doesn't get much mention these days, was the three-arm direct drive Micro Seiki (I forget the model). A friend had one with the Dynavector DV-505 arm and Karat Diamond cartridge. Now that deck sounded extremely good indeed.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

The anti-Linn rants in here remind me that I feel exactly the same about Naim amps.
    Oi, Martin, there are no anti-Linn rants here; merely equipment appraisals based on experience :-)

Take a bog-standard manufacturer's application note, over hype the power supplies and sell to people who value in-your-face presentation with no subtlety, no detail, no stereo soundstage and few spatial cues. But perhaps this isn't the place...
    You're entitled to your opinion but I'm not sure I necessarily agree. I know where you're coming from, but I ran a CDS2/NAC52/Supercap/NAP135s system (with the Spendors I'm still using now) for nearly six years and if all it done was as you've described it would've been in the bin long before that

My very favourite turntable, which doesn't get much mention these days, was the three-arm direct drive Micro Seiki (I forget the model). A friend had one with the Dynavector DV-505 arm and Karat Diamond cartridge. Now that deck sounded extremely good indeed.
    I've never heard that deck but I rate the DV tonearm highly, although perhaps less so the cartridge. You certainly get plenty of innovation and engineering prowess, though, with a 505!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Oi, Martin, there are no anti-Linn rants here; merely equipment appraisals based on experience :-)

You're entitled to your opinion but I'm not sure I necessarily agree. I know where you're coming from, but I ran a CDS2/NAC52/Supercap/NAP135s system (with the Spendors I'm still using now) for nearly six years and if all it done was as you've described it would've been in the bin long before that

Thats an interesting point Marco' whenever i hear a full naim active system with say DBL or SBL speakers ' i really don't care for it, but i once heard the CDS with a 72/hicap/250 through some heybrook's playing mahler's 5th and it was simply magnificent ,even my trusty Snell j11 sound good with naim amps so i am told but better still with AI 2nd audio and border patrol psu which is what used to have now sold alas.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    merely equipment appraisals based on experience
    I quite agree and I was talking from experience too - never heard a Naim setup I've liked yet and I've heard many. They seem especially unable to set up a good demo room at hi-fi shows, although that problem is shared with many other vendors.

Getting back on-topic, how have you found the Jelco 750 arm so far? Have you formed an opinion in comparison with the Technics arm as to what it brings to the party?

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I feel exactly the same about Naim amps. Take a bog-standard manufacturer's application note, over hype the power supplies and sell to people who value in-your-face presentation with no subtlety, no detail, no stereo soundstage and few spatial cues. But perhaps this isn't the place...

Funny that, isn't how I feel about mine, nor about the 1st Naim rig that got me excited, a CDX/XPS/82/HI/250 into shahanian speakers of some kind. It even made an LP12 sound good . But each to his own.

I will say I rarely want to listen to classical with the Naim system, whereas I did when I had a tube amp, so I guess it says something.

cheers
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.