+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive Failure on my Yamaha HD1300

I'm Jostein.

In the user manual for this unit there is information on how to change and install the hard disk, as well as the recommended replacement type:

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/...CDR-HD1300.pdf

The service manual seems to be available here:

http://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_cdr-h.../download.html
    My hifi system:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Mike New bearing, MCRU PSU (c), Oyaide HS-CF headshell, Oyaide MJ-12 TT mat, Vantage Audio Copper mat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Isodek IF-2 isolation platform, Furutech Monza LP stabilizer, Herbie's Hal-O JR damper Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 (prototype) Amplifiers: EAR 868L Preamp, Transcription Audio 211 Heaven Power amp, Bob Carver Cherry 180 power amp CD Player: Ear Yoshino Acute Tuner: Magnum Dynalab 90T Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII, Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, Transcription Audio Speakers Cables and stuff: LFD Audio interconnects and speaker cables, Mark Grant G2000HD, BlackCat Electronics, Van Den Hul Clearwater, Black Rhodium mains cables, Black Rhodium mains block, Finite Elements Resonator, Townhsend Stella Speaker stands, Pro Audio Bono hifi rack, Herbie's spike gliders, Herbie's Ultravox and Hal-O tube dampers, Super Black Hole CD mat Record Cleaning Machine: Loricraft PRC4

MartinT Guest

Yup - the WD I linked to should be fine. Note the manual says 'up to 137GB', so don't be tempted to try a 160GB drive in there.

I'm Mark.

Although post 11 links to this where a 160GB drive was fitted and working:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...-yamaha-hd1300

I guess it only formats it to the 137GB because of some old fashioned file system etc.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Hi Guys

Just switched my HD1300 on and had to listen to a lot of loud clicking coming from the inside, presumably from the HD. Once it settled after the turn on procedure the HD function is not working, nothing there. I presume that means the HD is stuffed? CD drive is still working.

Can a replacement drive be found to fit it, anyone know where I might get such a thing?

The shame of this is I had rare CDs recorded onto it 83 in total (no way of doing backups) and all are now lost I assume This really does bring it home that not using physical media is a fools game imho and any who embrace are asking for sad faces in the future.

Regards D S D L
    I believe that clicking HDs are not good news, but even so I've heard that there are there are techniques which sometimes work to rescue such drives. I found some details the other day. I'll try to find them again.

Good luck.
    Dave

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    I believe that clicking HDs are not good news, but even so I've heard that there are there are techniques which sometimes work to rescue such drives. I found some details the other day. I'll try to find them again.

Good luck.
    Thank you Dave

Any and all help gratefully accepted.

Regards D S D L

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Really sorry to hear this Neil its must be so frustrating
    Yes John it is.

I bought the Yamaha awhile ago and used it fairly regularly, in fact I used it a few weeks ago to burn a CD compilation.

Against my better judgement I decided to dip my toe into the server market and bought the Olive and to have it go pear shaped as well at the same time really takes the biscuit. So you could say I am a bit fed up however it has reinforced my belief in physical media, so if I get the Olive fixed its going to be sold off. Sounds poor out of its analogue outputs anyway, must be used with an external DAC to get the best from it.

I mainly bought it to use as an upgrade over the Yamaha and use it in a similar way..... Should not have bothered.

Regards D S D L

I'm Jostein.

If you have someone you know that knows Linux, he should be able to help you rescue all data from the Yamaha's hard drive. Using a Knoppix CD together with dd_rescue is an efficient way to save a disk with bad sectors and/or mechanical failures.
    My hifi system:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Mike New bearing, MCRU PSU (c), Oyaide HS-CF headshell, Oyaide MJ-12 TT mat, Vantage Audio Copper mat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Isodek IF-2 isolation platform, Furutech Monza LP stabilizer, Herbie's Hal-O JR damper Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 (prototype) Amplifiers: EAR 868L Preamp, Transcription Audio 211 Heaven Power amp, Bob Carver Cherry 180 power amp CD Player: Ear Yoshino Acute Tuner: Magnum Dynalab 90T Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII, Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, Transcription Audio Speakers Cables and stuff: LFD Audio interconnects and speaker cables, Mark Grant G2000HD, BlackCat Electronics, Van Den Hul Clearwater, Black Rhodium mains cables, Black Rhodium mains block, Finite Elements Resonator, Townhsend Stella Speaker stands, Pro Audio Bono hifi rack, Herbie's spike gliders, Herbie's Ultravox and Hal-O tube dampers, Super Black Hole CD mat Record Cleaning Machine: Loricraft PRC4

I'm Jostein.

For the Olive 4HD problem you can first try to unplug it and let it wait 10 minutes. Then restart it to see if that works. If not, you can try to reinstall it with the USB option at the Olive web site.

http://www.olive.us/support/software/reinstall.html

After restore update to the latest firmware version.
    My hifi system:

I'm Neil.

I assume this is a suitable replacement for the Yamaha HD that has failed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seagate-ST...#ht_4814wt_952

Regards D S D L

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by jostber View Post
    For the Olive 4HD problem you can first try to unplug it and let it wait 10 minutes. Then restart it to see if that works. If not, you can try to reinstall it with the USB option at the Olive web site.

http://www.olive.us/support/software/reinstall.html

After restore update to the latest firmware version.
    I have tried that and had no joy.

I have now discovered that there is a CD in the drive and I am wondering if that has caused the problem. Machine is trying to boot up while CD drive is trying to read the CD Confusion reigns hence it is fighting with its self to start and never does. I can't eject the CD as the Olive never boots up to work. Alas its a slot drive so I can't get into it and the way the Olive is put together prevents getting into it anyway.

Regards D S D L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast