+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive Failure on my Yamaha HD1300

I'm Neil.

Default Hard Drive Failure on my Yamaha HD1300

Hi Guys

Just switched my HD1300 on and had to listen to a lot of loud clicking coming from the inside, presumably from the HD. Once it settled after the turn on procedure the HD function is not working, nothing there. I presume that means the HD is stuffed? CD drive is still working.

Can a replacement drive be found to fit it, anyone know where I might get such a thing?

The shame of this is I had rare CDs recorded onto it 83 in total (no way of doing backups) and all are now lost I assume This really does bring it home that not using physical media is a fools game imho and any who embrace are asking for sad faces in the future.

Regards D S D L

If its dud the data is lost. Absolute must that HD's are backed up and 500mb can be had for under £50.00. I do this on my freeview box and music HD periodically.

A replacement HD should be easy to get if you can post the spec from the sticker on the one you have.

Regards

Chris

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    If its dud the data is lost. Absolute must that HD's are backed up and 500mb can be had for under £50.00. I do this on my freeview box and music HD periodically.

A replacement HD should be easy to get if you can post the spec from the sticker on the one you have.

Regards

Chris
    Bar burning the CDs there is no output on this to hook up to an external HD, a flaw in the design.

I assume the loud clicking is the data read arm in the HD trying to read data and its not being able to.

I will open it up and have a look.

Regards D S D L

I'm Mark.

That's a shame

probably an old IDE drive and was only 80GB, someone here will probably have one spare to try.

As Chris says, look at the drive and post some part numbers off it.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

It may not be as easy as that Chris If it's anything like my Pioneer DVD recorder it'll probably have a proprietary operating system which will no doubt be on the HDD. So it's quite possible that plugging a new HDD in will result in not a lot happening
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    This really does bring it home that not using physical media is a fools game imho
    Whilst I completely sympathise with the potential loss of valuable data, I cannot agree with the above statement. Sorry to be blunt, but relying solely on a hard drive to store your valuable data is fraught with danger - I have to fix peoples computers all the time and time and again they don't have any sort of backup. Hard drives fail all the time, they are not designed to last forever so you cannot rely on them unfortunately.

However, your data maybe retrievable but that depends on the O/S and reading it outside your machine, the first step will be to remove the hard drive and try it in another machine if you can? If you take it out or take a picture of it, I reckon you should get some help from us geeks and if we can get you going again, we will
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Whilst I completely sympathise with the potential loss of valuable data, I cannot agree with the above statement. Sorry to be blunt, but relying solely on a hard drive to store your valuable data is a fools game - I have to fix peoples computers all the time and time and again they don't have any sort of backup. Hard drives fail all the time, they are not designed to last forever so you cannot rely on them unfortunately.

However, your data maybe retrievable but that depends on the O/S and reading it, the first step will be to remove the hard drive and try it in another machine if you can? If you take it out or take a picture of it, I reckon you should get some help from us geeks and if we can get you going again, we will
    Thank you Tim I hope so.

However it was not designed as a computer though it is in part. Its a CD recorder + HD recorder. Rip to HD keep or burn a CD, once only then the data is wiped off the HD.

Regards D S D L

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    It may not be as easy as that Chris If it's anything like my Pioneer DVD recorder it'll probably have a proprietary operating system which will no doubt be on the HDD. So it's quite possible that plugging a new HDD in will result in not a lot happening
    You may be right Mark.

Regards D S D L

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Lets hope not Neil
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

First step is get the blighter out and see if it's IDE or SATA. A clicking sound is not brilliant though
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast