+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Tannoy's??

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

At least old Tannoy drivers can be rebuilt to better than new? Same can't be said for many other once great speakers, sadly...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    At least old Tannoy drivers can be rebuilt to better than new? Same can't be said for many other once great speakers, sadly...
    Agreed, my recently acquired (quite reasonably) HPD 315's already had new surrounds fitted, but I could detect some distortion in the treble region on one unit.

It was a simple matter to remove the tweeter diaphragm, check it (was perfect), refit and centre the voice coil and secure it with the four screws.

Result was perfect.
    Spendorman

I'm Josie.

If your going for some Lancasters, Andrew then get 12" drivers as 15" in Lancs are too big for the cabinets and stifle the sound.

My 12" MG in Lancasters sound superb and I'm well happy with them. New crossovers yes.. an absolute must. I've got newly built crossovers in them already but I'm getting some upgraded ones made pretty soon.

Oh and get them off the floor too and on to some open stands, a huge improvement. I had some Something Solid XF stands made and they are superb. They look like they were made for them too.

Tannoys on the Raddy will be bliss mate. Really though, there really is nothing out there (without you spending a fortune or lopping off a limb) that will come close to the quality of the sound of the MG's. The sound is so well focused and bang in front of you with no smear.

Hope that helps matey.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Andrew.

Joe,

Thanks for the info. I must admit the Tannoys at the moment are a flight of fancy as I have umpteen mods to do to the 1210 and I have a garrard 301 to completely rebuild from scratch! I think its just a matter of getting a pair cheap enough now Thans as always, Andy.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Joe,

Thanks for the info. I must admit the Tannoys at the moment are a flight of fancy as I have umpteen mods to do to the 1210 and I have a garrard 301 to completely rebuild from scratch! I think its just a matter of getting a pair cheap enough now Thans as always, Andy.
    If cost is a major consideration, HPD's are a bargain. Mine are the early type with the Alnico style magnets and chassis much like the Golds.

I have owned Silvers and Golds, and I'm not really missing them, apart from their much increased monetary value.

The HPDs work very nicely with my Radford STA25 III
    Spendorman

I'm Andrew.

Cheers mate. Any Tannoy's I buy will be probably well into next year but i'm getting my research done now!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12