+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: TransFi TURNTABLE PLATTER MAT...... THE 'RESO-MAT'

I'm ILOB.

It goes against conventional wisdom but works well
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Clive.

Having tried loads of mats I wouldn't now use anything else. A lot of the conventional wisdom I feel is mis-guided. Mark's mat works very well, I feel Vic's copes better with troublesome records but relative to conventional mats they do similar things - they cut away bloom and colouration.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm gone.

Well, I thought the Funk Achromat was well and truly stuck to my platter so I had no choice but to use it as described.

However ... judicious and careful use of a screwdriver and off pops the Achromat! ... I'm currently having a first listen to the Reso-mat straight on to the platter, as recommended by the manufacturer .... even cleaner, less bloom to the sound, better focus, more explicit.

No doubt about it - the Reso-mat has been a substantial upgrade for my LP playback system.

I'm gone.

Actually, you can use a weight with the Reso-mat.

Not sure I want to though - it sounds a tad more open without one.

I'm Andy.

Oh no...... how many T/T mats do l need- well you cannot have enough can you
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice find this, Jerry, although I knew of its existence, as people like John and Clive had been using it for a while, and also Mark with a similar design of mat of his own.

I can see it working in most set-ups, as its design principles are sound. I may try one at some point, as curiosity will likely get the better of me, but at the moment I'm absolutely delighted with the sound I'm getting from my Techy.

The 5mm Achromat I'm using interfaces superbly with my Funk Firm platter (as you would expect), as they were designed to work together, and there is real synergy in that respect, without any hint of bloom, lack of focus or detail whatsoever. Therefore, there is seemingly nothing really to 'fix'.

However, as I do enjoy experimenting with these things, because that's the only way you learn, it would be interesting to test the coupling method with vinyl (such as I adopt now, with the Achromat firmly bonded to my platter and a Michell record clamp close-coupling records to the mat), against the decoupling method offered by the RESO-MAT.

Perhaps we could try this at Scalford?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Clive.

Hi Marco, the Achromat was one of the mats I tried, I have two, I've had them since Arthur first introduced them. With my two decks the synergy wasn't there, I liked some of the things they did though. Here we have 2 different approaches, it's good to have clear differences, it makes choices easier. Whether the Reso-mat synergises with the Techie hopefully will become clear soon!
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side

I'm ILOB.

We could compare and contrast on the 1210 and Salvation it would be an interesting experiment on different approaches to platter design and what matt works best with each design
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Good idea, John. Sounds like there will be quite a few fun comparisons to make at Scalford!

Clive are you coming this year, too?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Clive are you coming this year, too?

Marco.
    If I can work something with relatives close by I may well make it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast