+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Found the elusive devils (Ditton 66)

I'm Chris.

Default Found the elusive devils (Ditton 66)

Finally found a pair of excellent condition Celestion Ditton 66 on the bay and got them for a song. Well i got them home and had a look inside and they are pretty clean in there too, hooked them up and well i wasnt disappointed but also wasnt blown away. For the record i'm using a fully modded SL1210 with Jelco and Expert modded DL103 into minimax phono stage and Mastersound compact 845.

One thing i did notice is the bell wire that connected the drivers, has anyone re-wired the dittons, if so what with and did it make a difference?

Also any ideas about where i can replacement crossovers as im not skilled enough to make my own?

thanks guys

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Can't really help you with the fettling Chris, but glad you found some at last.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_broadbent View Post
    Finally found a pair of excellent condition Celestion Ditton 66 on the bay and got them for a song. Well i got them home and had a look inside and they are pretty clean in there too, hooked them up and well i wasnt disappointed but also wasnt blown away. For the record i'm using a fully modded SL1210 with Jelco and Expert modded DL103 into minimax phono stage and Mastersound compact 845.

One thing i did notice is the bell wire that connected the drivers, has anyone re-wired the dittons, if so what with and did it make a difference?

Also any ideas about where i can replacement crossovers as im not skilled enough to make my own?

thanks guys

OK, I did some stuff on a pair of Ditton 15 XR's and to use a cliche there can be a night and day difference. Here's what I did with mine

1. rebuilt the X-O, replaced the old caps with new, left the inductors in place.
    using 11% silver solder. I also soldered the new wiring directly onto the
    x-o pcb rather than the crappy plastic thing which inserts onto the PCB.
    2. Mounted the X-O on sorobthane to stock vibrations getting to the X-0
    3. Rewired everything in high quality silver with teflon coating.
    4. New foam and dampened the innards of the speakers with 6mm sorbothane
    on all internal walls of the speaker.
    5. removed all drivers and rotated them just in case any had sagged.
    6. Replaced the foam mountings in the speakers with 0.5mm sorbothane to
    stock the drivers suffering from excessive vibration.
    7. Replaced the crap speaker binding posts with silver plated ones that could
    also accept RCA/spades/plugs/bare wires.

I think that just about covers it. The 66's should sound pretty good anyway. You mention you have a 1210 which is "fully modded", what have you modfied?

SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread