Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 / 10 A pile of Folky Pish

0 0%
  • 2 / 10 Grates my ears.

0 0%
  • 3 / 10 OK but not my cup of tea.

2 15.38%
  • 4 / 10 Liked it but wouldn't listen twice.

0 0%
  • 5 / 10 Worth a second listening.

0 0%
  • 6 / 10 Very Good to excellent in parts.

2 15.38%
  • 7 / 10 Excellent throughout. Would consider purchase.

0 0%
  • 8 / 10 Loved it and would certainly buy.

4 30.77%
  • 9 / 10 Great album that I would include as a favourite.

4 30.77%
  • 10 / 10 Fantastic record and an all time classic album.

1 7.69%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Album Club 30/11/11. Alan Hull, Pipedream 1973.

I'm ChrisB.

I've listened to the album in question 5 or 6 times over the week & will be seeking out a copy for myself. It's got one of those sleeves that can only be done justice to with a vinyl copy, so that's what I'll be looking to find.

Good songs well played. Not as folky as one might think. Plenty of humour. One or two really excellent standout tracks - especially for me 'I Hate To See You Cry'.

Thanks a lot for a great choice Paul.

I'm Paul.

First heard this about 10 years ago and has been a favourite of mine ever since.
    My mates brother Kenny Craddock plays keys/co-wrote some of the tracks.
    Squire is also worth a listen,Alan Hull was one of the under-rated songwriters of our times.
    Paul.

MartinT Guest

I'd never heard of him or the album. It's quirky and very English, reminds me vaguely of an early Al Stewart in style if not voice. 6/10 by the definitions given.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    First heard this about 10 years ago and has been a favourite of mine ever since.
    My mates brother Kenny Craddock plays keys/co-wrote some of the tracks.
    Squire is also worth a listen,Alan Hull was one of the under-rated songwriters of our times.
    Kenny was another sad loss to the music industry. Important to Alan Hull, Lindisfarne mkII and Gerry Rafferty output. All round great backing musician. Think Squire is well behind Pipe Dream. Some good songs but lost that folky feel with a more AOR style production.

I'm Keith.

I rather like this.

I'd never heard it before (and, oddly, don't recall seeing the cover before either) and have given it 8 out of 10. I'll be keeping a look out for a decent vinyl copy.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Barry.

Back in '73 Saturday mornings were spent thumbing through albums in the record shop and I remember the cover but there was a lot of competition for my couple of quid ,Heavy/Prog/Glam Rock were at their peak so I am afraid this had no chance with me.
    I've played it 6 times now and you can tell its from that era and I probably would have really liked it back then but my brain has moved on, although it is quite listenable from the off it doesn't do much for me,I do like the instrumental std 0632 and I hate to see you cry and to echo Keith I might buy it on vinyl if I come across a good copy. 6/10

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Truly superb album of happy-go-lucky folky loveliness. I'd never heard of it or Alan Hull before... If I can't find it on vinyl, I'll happily buy it on CD - awesome stuff! 8 out of 10 for me

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Truly superb album of happy-go-lucky folky loveliness. I'd never heard of it or Alan Hull before... If I can't find it on vinyl, I'll happily buy it on CD - awesome stuff! 8 out of 10 for me

Marco.
    Marco. Next time you visit Hi-Fi Sound try and conceal your ignorance as Alan Hull is legendry in the North East. Best known as joint front man and main songwriter for Lindisfarne. As a big fan of the band I rushed out and purchased this on release. Amazingly I enjoy it much more today than at the time and it is one of those that improve greatly on vinyl with better equipment.

Don't expect to find a dead quiet pressing as Charisma always seemed to suffer from background crackle. Even my mint cared for copy has quite a bit of background noise in places after a number of cleans. However on a 'clean' copy it is not intrusive enough to distract from the fantastic music. There are a lot of copies on Ebay at the moment - stick to pink large mad hatter labels. Glad to introduce quite a few here to this neglected classic.

Paul
    Last edited by Audioman; 07-12-2011 at 09:17.

I'm Steve.

Brilliant Paul. This must have slipped below my radar, but I will be seeking it out. 8/10
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I finally have the time and am going to give this a spin now
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12