+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Beresford TC-7520 project...

I'm Anthony.

Default My Beresford TC-7520 project...

Back to the beginning - For my PC based music I had a Beresford TC-7520 DAC doing the duties, a week or so after the purchase I opened it up for a looksy. Within a week I'd replaced the usual done Burr-Brown PCM1716 DAC chip for the Wolfson WM8716, DAC analogue caps for Muse KZ's, direct output op-amp to LM49720HA tin hat and LM4562NA for the variable, together with Muse Bi-Polar for coupling. That lasted a few weeks and then I thought about linear PSU's, one for 5v and one for 12v, a pair of TeddyRegs became available and that was it... No going back.

I didn't want a 'separate' box for the PSU's nor did I want to buy a pre-built case, I wanted to do it DIY style - a quick play and I came up with this as an idea and it stuck:

To the left on the render is the standard size of the 7520, to the right is my prospected case.

That was it, I was off.... I gave myself a few days off so my desk could become a workshop/mill/dump. 3mm aluminium sheet was ordered pre-cut to my requirements and Oak was in hand, so on I went with the drilling/routing/cutting/filing/sanding.

First up the 'desk' press:

Next the materials (on the left):

A few markings:

The Oak was precision cut top and bottom to allow the 3mm plate to fit flush (thanks dad):

Top and bottom fixed:

At this point I'd like to add that I required the 'whole' case to be fixed with zero glue or permanent fixings, ready for disassembly come paint time.

Braces in:

Front panel fixed, 5mm overhang all round:

Bottom 'peppered' ready for all the M3/M6 allen bolts:

TeddyRegs in place using the base plate as a heat-sink.

Drilling the rear panel ready for filing the square USB/Toslink/Fused-switched IEC and 6 RCA's:

Almost there:

Ready for drilling the LED holes:

All fixings are black M3 allen bolts on the underside, M6 for the feet and trannys and black screws throughout.

I painted the case myself and not blowing my own but it's flawless - 8 etch primes and 12 satin blacks later and it's mint, I am pleased. Just the Oak to sand and oil and the laser cut decals to apply but here it is:

The back:

Old on top, new below:

Now for the inside the box...

After my initial plan of using a 18.5v-0-18.5v toroidal was thrown out and 2 separate transformers were recommended:

I have a 9v EI tranny centre tapped -- 2 x 8A Hexfreds -- Kendeil 6800uF -- TeddyReg set to 5v supplying the Wolfson DAC chip.

15v EI tranny centre tapped -- 2 x 8A Hexfreds -- Kendeil 6800uF -- TeddyReg set to 12v supplying the op-amps/leds.

It's early days but wow, what an improvement - Super wunderba, I'm chuffed to bits.

A few piccys:

All I need to do is wire-wool the Oak, oil and fit the laser cut decals and the jobs a good one.

I would like to thank misterc6 (on PFM) for helping me with the TeddyReg resistor values, without him and his knowledge I would have been truly stuck, also to Martin Clark (PFM) and his super site acoustica for all the info on PSU's.

Well, that's me done (for now)

Cheers folks,
    Ant
    Last edited by Ant; 30-11-2011 at 22:45. Reason: Added 'the back'

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

That is pretty darned impressive Beautiful work Anthony and thanks for sharing.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Val.

Thats a great job. Very neat work

Val

I'm David.

Blimey...
    Some people are annoyingly good at things!

Thats very impressive indeed!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm mike.

Gosh thats good.

I'm Andy.

Awesome!!!! You missed a good opportunity so sneak an alps blue volume pot in there at the same time tho matey!!!

Well done. It looks fab.

Butuz
    Quad 99 CDP-2 >> Eastern Electric Minimax Pre>> XTZ Desire AP-100 >> PMC GB1i

I'm Rob.

Didn't want to do a proper job then.......
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Keith.

Fantastic job Ant - well done
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

A very good job indeed .

I'm Rich.

Stands in awe of the skills and dedication. That would look great in any rack. Well done.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast