+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amplifiers on the floor.

I'm Andrew.

Default Amplifiers on the floor.

Currently my CJ Premier 8As are on the bottom two levels of a BCD 1100 rack, but I am planning to move them off the rack and onto the floor so that :

a) they can breath a little easier as they put out a decent amount of heat and
    b) so I can use the shelves for other gear.

My floor is what I believe is referred to as a suspended wooden ground floor ( though there isn't very much if any bounce ) with carpet on top. I have ordered two 19 inch by 21 inch by 3 inch slate slabs as an initial starting point.

So my question is - would I benefit from anything additional that goes under the slate slabs by way of footers, spikes and in the same way is there anything that would help on top between the slabs and the amplifiers ?

Thanks - Andrew

I'm ChrisB.

I'd say the best thing to go under those lumps of slate would be the tines of a fork lift truck when you have to lift them. Them there's big lumps of rock my friend!

I love to play with cheap solutions to these questions - I'd get myself a big old pile of stuff & have a play with it. Last time I did something like this I came up with these

I'm Lucky.

You lucky, lucky jotter.... Premier 8s.... wonderful!

Bound to be microphonic, bet the plinths help somewhat. A lot of weight here all in. Stop worrying and start feeling lucky, real lucky.
    The Man with the suit and the pace. Knee deep in the dead.

I'm Dave.

I found THESE on eBay a few months ago and thought they looked really nice and not too expensive. Unfortunately they're in the US but shipping is free, so that's a bonus. They'd look superb with slate slabs on top and your amps on top of them.

Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFidelityGuy View Post
    I found THESE on eBay a few months ago and thought they looked really nice and not too expensive. Unfortunately they're in the US but shipping is free, so that's a bonus. They'd look superb with slate slabs on top and your amps on top of them.

You sure they are in the USA?
    With a name like Canuck Audio I would have thought they would be in Canada.......

Ah......the link is not to Canuck Audio..... I take back what I said!

I'm Dave.

I hadn't noticed the Canuck Audio logo in the corner of the photo. The seller is Hiend Audio, so I'm not sure what the relationship is between the two. Apologies for any confusion caused.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFidelityGuy View Post
    I hadn't noticed the Canuck Audio logo in the corner of the photo. The seller is Hiend Audio, so I'm not sure what the relationship is between the two. Apologies for any confusion caused.

No problem at all! I thought I was being observant!

I'm stu.

Wouldn't worry about it.
    Just stick them on the slabs.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I'd say the best thing to go under those lumps of slate would be the tines of a fork lift truck when you have to lift them. Them there's big lumps of rock my friend!
    Forkenspoonenfrickenhellen you weren't wrong - the delivery man said he tried to slide the pallet in the truck "it just weren't happening" were his final immortal words. Why is it never bob-a-job week when you need some lumps of rock moving

Andrew

I'm Bob.

I just hope your floor joists are spaced at 18" or less..., and nothing valuable is directly below.
    That just reminded me of the fashion at one time to install Aga cookers, and several incidents down your neck of the woods where the pride and joy assembly descended overnight to the basement from 3 floors up....

+ Reply to Thread