+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garrard 301 Plinth

I'm Simon.

Default Garrard 301 Plinth

Hi,

I wonder if any one can help me? I'm in the process of designing a slate plinth for a 301. To start with this is going to be a very simple plinth with just the cut-out for the deck and a hole for a rega arm mount.

I have a couple questions I have some CAD drawings for the 301 with the arm radius's on, but is there a position along the radius which is preferable to position the arm?

Also as I'm planning on mounting the arm straight onto the plinth its self with out an arm board will I need to fit a spacer under the arm to raise it to the correct height?

If I can work out how to PDF the file and upload it I will.

Thanks
    Source: Thorens TD124 Rega RB300, Sumiko bluepoint No2., Cambridge Audio D500 Special Edition CDP, Squeeze box Touch, PC with Trends Audio USB Audio DAC UD-10 Amplification: Croft Micro 25 basic pre, Leak Stereo 20, Trends Audio Class T TA-10, Fisher X100-A Speakers:Impulse H6 Interconnects: Handmade silver and TNT audio CAT5 speaker cables

I'm Nick.

If you need any help with the latter just PM me Simon.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Clive.

Before you think about the radius.....2 things:

1) once you've raised the arm you will be close to the limit on the threaded shaft to mount the arm. It could just be ok.

2) when I had my slate armboard wedged very tightly into the plinth it sounded rubbish, it needed to be just ever so slightly free (decoupled).

Last edited by Clive; 29-11-2011 at 22:57.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Clive.

BTW, the OL Encounter on my slate plinth has Rega geometry. Let me know if you want me to take some measurements.
    Last edited by Clive; 29-11-2011 at 23:13.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side

I'm Simon.

Hi clive

That's a nice looking plinth, how did you go about decoupling the arm?

I was thinking about possibly starting with a single layer plinth and depending upon cost adding a decoupled bottom layer like your plinth.
    Source: Thorens TD124 Rega RB300, Sumiko bluepoint No2., Cambridge Audio D500 Special Edition CDP, Squeeze box Touch, PC with Trends Audio USB Audio DAC UD-10 Amplification: Croft Micro 25 basic pre, Leak Stereo 20, Trends Audio Class T TA-10, Fisher X100-A Speakers:Impulse H6 Interconnects: Handmade silver and TNT audio CAT5 speaker cables

I'm Clive.

Hi Simon,

The armboard comprises 2 concentric circles of thin slate, the smaller one is about 15mm less in diameter, this drops into a hole in the plinth. The armboard is quite loose so I use pvc tape to make it tight enough not to move when I operate the arm. Too much tape and too tight the dynamics vanish. Maybe you can achieve the same effect by bolting the arm finger tight to the plinth.

The plinth is from the now defunct Slatedeck. I can take armboard pics if that helps.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Hi Simon,

The armboard comprises 2 concentric circles of thin slate, the smaller one is about 15mm less in diameter, this drops into a hole in the plinth. The armboard is quite loose so I use pvc tape to make it tight enough not to move when I operate the arm. Too much tape and too tight the dynamics vanish. Maybe you can achieve the same effect by bolting the arm finger tight to the plinth.

The plinth is from the now defunct Slatedeck. I can take armboard pics if that helps.
    Hi Clive,

Pictures of the arm board would be great.

Thanks

I'm Nobody.

If i were designing another Garrard plinth it would be with an armboard in a simular idea to the old SME sliding bedplate! one that would allow me to fit a sliding collar that would allow a number of different arm fittings, make it a long affair that would also allow either 9/10 or 12'' arms..

I'm Clive.

I'll do some pics. Re the arm board, the circular nature of the one I have allows for considerable adjustment via rotation (not enough for a 12" though). But of course it just allows for a single size of arm pillar.

I'm Clive.

Here's my spare armboard

Here's the one on my dusty deck (photos with flash are so unforgiving!)

The little scratches are marks I've made on the armboard for alignment purposes, they polish out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast