+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GEtting TIVO next Saturday...any other AOS'ers have it?

I'm Gary.

Default GEtting TIVO next Saturday...any other AOS'ers have it?

Moving from V+ to 1TB tivo..should be good.

Any others have it?
    What do you think compared to V+?

thanks.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Imjustsurviving.

funny you should mention that as we are about to change as well, our hd box keeps playing up, you book in and record your programs as normal and they don't record, the menu says it is now critcal on the hard drive for space, so we delete a couple of half hour programs and then we have 25hrs or more free

I hope the Tevo is better
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Sorry guys I'm not that up on information about these things

However, when I used to use a DVD recorder with built in HDD to record from TV transmissions & the HDD space got low there were a couple of options. A defrag to create a big space or remove consecutive stuff to also leave a big space

If you just remove odd programs here & there then you may not effectively have a big enough space to record a program in one lump & these things might not like it?

No idea, just my experience with Pioneer DVD recorders with an HDD. Something tells me Pioneer would somehow be better than any set top box thing a magig
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes, you need to periodically defrag your sky box. Most folk don't realise this, so that's why some get problems.

I'm john.

The only thing that puts me off getting a Tivo is tha there are no audio outputs in the back..I might have to get one soon though as our V+ box is very tempremental.
    John.

I'm Greg.

2points. A pvr(personal video recorder) works better when a number of recordings are deleted at one time rather than deleting one at a time. This is from my pvr manual. Hard drives also supposedly run better with 10-20% free space. Recordings for archiving may need to be copied to another hard drive.

Over here in Oz, the TiVo brand is actually controlled/ owned by the TV companies and many of its better features ie ad jumping have been nobbled.
    Is this the case in UK?
    Greg.

I'm Matt.

I have had the 1TB Tivo from launch. It's very good now they've just finished upgrading the software on it. Was a bit iffy before with random reboots and the red ring of death (where the UI got stuck a lot). Can now be be remote controlled as Virgin have enabled the ethernet port on the back. I'd recommend it if you're a TV junkie like me!

I'm Arthur.

Did I read that the new Virgin TIVO box has (or will have) a Spotify client too?

How responsive are the menu's? Both in browsing recordings/schedules and in normal live TV and on demand gubbins? I've got a basic HD box at the moment (no PVR). Works fine, but bloody slow browsing listings and on demand stuff.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfa View Post
    Did I read that the new Virgin TIVO box has (or will have) a Spotify client too?

How responsive are the menu's? Both in browsing recordings/schedules and in normal live TV and on demand gubbins? I've got a basic HD box at the moment (no PVR). Works fine, but bloody slow browsing listings and on demand stuff.
    No idea on the box speed etc., but yes, Spotify Premium is now available on Tivo boxes according to Virgin. http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadban...part=Spotify_1
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Rich.

we're also having virgin tivo installed on friday, just in time to record all the rubbish christmas tv!

i believe it has optical audio outs, (it better have as I've just picked up a toslink cable from maplins) and my old virgin box had no audio outs. I was having to use a scart with rca breakouts which actually sounded surprisingly good into the arcam solo neo.

Getting it installed and activiated for free after spending some time on the phone to virgin complaining about the lack or audio outs on their boxes.

Will try the toslink into my standac and then to the arcam, interested in seeing how the youtube and spotify apps will work given that scrolling and menus on previous virgin boxes have been painfully slow.

will report back here to let you have my opinions after it is installed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast