View Poll Results: Album Club: 15.11.11: Mike Oldfield - The Songs Of Distant Earth

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0/10: A real pukefest.

0 0%
  • 1/10: Never again - please!

1 5.00%
  • 2/10: I forgot the good stuff due to the crap!

1 5.00%
  • 3/10: Just about listenable.

3 15.00%
  • 4/10: Ok, but not my pint of beer.

3 15.00%
  • 5/10: Ok, but the last track put me off.

0 0%
  • 6/10: Not too bad at all.

1 5.00%
  • 7/10: I quite like this.

2 10.00%
  • 8/10: Very good indeed.

7 35.00%
  • 9/10: Off to buy it right now!

0 0%
  • 10/10: Rewind & spin it again!

2 10.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 15.11.11: Mike Oldfield - The Songs Of Distant Earth (1994)

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Default Album Club: 15.11.11: Mike Oldfield - The Songs Of Distant Earth (1994)

Mike Oldfield - The Songs Of Distant Earth (1994)

Hope fully this should be fun

This is some hopefully rather nice ambient electronica that was inspired by a book written by Authur C. Clarke From what I can gather Mike Oldfield read the book of the same name & got in touch with Authur C. Clarke & asked him if he'd mind him writing an album to fit in with the book. Obviously the reply was in the affirmative & as far as I know a copy of the album was sent to Sri Lanka for Mr Clarke to have a listen to before it was released, he gave it his full backing

Thank goodness for that, as imo this is a truly superb bit of music & again imo I think this is some of Mike Oldfields best work.

I read the book before I ever had a chance to listen to the album. Obviously some of you may have had this pleasure as it's a superb book & no doubt why Oldfield felt compelled to write some music for it. What I can say is that having read the book, the music fits it perfectly! The music begins (oddly ) at the beginning of the book & marches through to the inevitable conclusion.

There is only the one song on the whole album that doesn't fit for me in all honesty, this happens to be track 17 or the very last track so it's no biggy imo...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Songs_of_Distant_Earth

http://open.spotify.com/album/7AbAn57Y429agHSHIJXu8h

I hope you all enjoy the music, though I'd be shocked if you all did obviously

I thought I'd better let you all in gently to some of the stuff I listen to rather than jumping in at the deep end You'd have had some deep end last week if Alex hadn't won the toss!

Owners of small bass reflex stand mount speakers keep an eye on your bass drivers if listening at a highish level as there is some high level deep bass on this album - you have been warned
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 16-11-2011 at 09:46. Reason: Added Year and Album Art
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Ooo, this looks interesting Mark - never heard of this one at all and I'm really looking forward to giving it a listen... high five
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Keith.

Great choice Mark - one of my favourite Oldfield albums. You really aren't kidding about the bass either

Looking forward to revisiting this one before I cast my vote.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Ooo, this looks interesting Mark - never heard of this one at all and I'm really looking forward to giving it a listen... high five
    I hope you enjoy it Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by keiths View Post
    Great choice Mark - one of my favourite Oldfield albums. You really aren't kidding about the bass either

Looking forward to revisiting this one before I cast my vote.
    No I wasn't kidding about the bass & I'm glad you realise that

Nothing saying I can't vote on my own choice of album is there?

It gets an 8/10 from me as 1. I already own it & 2. I do have better stuff
    Bests, Mark

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Ah, normality resumed!

I have this on CD, so an easy week for me tracking it down. I'll give it a fresh listen in the spirit of Album Club before commenting. Nice one Mark.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm ILOB.

Generally the issue I often have with Ambiant music is that often I do not hear enough melodic invention to keep me interested, its not like I need complex melodic structures but that help but just hearing a few notes with little else going on is not my thing.
    Thankfully Mark Choice does not fall in that, the music is relaxing but has enough melody to take me on a journey Good choice and something I play again
    A 7 for me
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post

I hope you all enjoy the music, though I'd be shocked if you all did obviously
    Only time will tell

I'm Dave.

Never heard of this album before so am looking forward to hearing it.
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
    Only time will tell
    Nice one
    Bests, Mark

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Well this is not what I was expecting at all Mark! Not sure what to make of it yet, but I want to play it again and would probably give it a 5 or 6 now, but I think it needs a few more spins before I fully decide. I really don't like the bagpipes however, they don't work for me.

But compared to (sorry Alex) last week, it's a very welcome relief
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast