+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Denon AVC A11SR Amplifier and DVD A11 Player

I'm Nathan.

Default Denon AVC A11SR Amplifier and DVD A11 Player

Hi All,

I have the option to get myself a second hand Denon AVC A11SR Amplifier and DVD A11 Player for €500. Do you think it is worth it?

My current home cinema kit is very basic. Plus I've not so far contracted the Hi-Def bug when it comes to movies. I have a HD box for normal TV, but DVD does me fine for films at the moment.

Given the quality of the amp my gut is telling me it would be a good purchase.

Any thoughts?

Nathan
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

I'm john.

Quote Originally Posted by RochaCullen View Post
    Hi All,

I have the option to get myself a second hand Denon AVC A11SR Amplifier and DVD A11 Player for €500. Do you think it is worth it?

My current home cinema kit is very basic. Plus I've not so far contracted the Hi-Def bug when it comes to movies. I have a HD box for normal TV, but DVD does me fine for films at the moment.

Given the quality of the amp my gut is telling me it would be a good purchase.

Any thoughts?

Nathan

For both it is a good priceto upscale your dvds through the player looking at it dvi-d connection..I think you can get a cable with HDMI at one end..go for it ..

jon

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Hi Nathan, the DVD player was exceedingly expensive when it was made & is in fact a universal player if my memory is correct It'll play SACDs & quite possibly DVDA as well.

A quick look online reveals that a certain Mark Grant may well be able to supply you with an HDMI output board for the DVD player, that is unless I'm seeing things on another forum. As it is though the component outputs will be top notch & if you plug them into the back end of your TV & let the TV scale up I think you may well be quite surprised at the resulting picture quality as you'll be feeding it a top notch progressive signal. There are quite a few converters that will accept component video & output HDMI as well now I think about it

It's built like a tank & would probably make a superb CD transport if used with an external DAC such as a Caiman... That's just the DVD player...

As for the amplifier, well seven channels of 125W RMS of power doesn't come cheap & imho if you think the amplifier is quality I'd think that the DVD player is higher quality than the amplifier at the end of the day

It's certainly worth the money if that's the route you want to take, in fact I'd do similar in the way of the amplifier as I don't want my AV video going through the amp via HDMI, I punt it straight off to the display....

Obviously even thought the DVD player is an older top notch bit of kit I'd find it harder to let it sway me as I spin lots of blu rays, but if you only spin DVDs etc then you won't find much better.

Make an offer & flash the cash & see what happens is what I would do if in your situation Always try & beat em down
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Quote Originally Posted by jon1 View Post
    For both it is a good priceto upscale your dvds through the player looking at it dvi-d connection..I think you can get a cable with HDMI at one end..go for it ..

jon
    Damn, I forgot about the DVI-D connection Jon is right, you just need a cable with HDMI one end & DVI-D the other

Even better..
    Bests, Mark

I'm Neil.

The amp is a no brainer, even at £500 with an FOC high end DVD player. Just shows how much AV gear loses its value

I use a Denon AVC- A1Se and its brilliant with all my video connections direct to the TV (still CRTV)

I compared this amp to a Yamaha top of the range AV (2500) amplifier about 4 years ago and the Denon destroyed it sonically and that despite the fact the Yamaha had all the latest sound processing tech (at the time anyway, no idea what's top now)

Regards D S D L

I'm john.

We all agree then.GO FOR IT nathan

jon

I'm Mark.

I'm john.

A shockingly good bargain mark

jon

I'm Nathan.

Default Thanks for all the advice

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I guess I just needed that extra push before I went and made the purchase. I've spoken to the guy and I am going to go for it.

So I assume the DVI-D to HDMI goes straight from the DVD player to the TV?

What other connections would you guys recommend?

Thanks again,

Nathan
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by RochaCullen View Post
    So I assume the DVI-D to HDMI goes straight from the DVD player to the TV?
    Yes, spot on The cables are easily available with a DVD-D on the one end & HDMI on the other. They are entirely compatable bar one single thing - DVI will not carry audio, it's video only but digital video which will give you the best picture. If for some reason you can't locate one then adapters are available to convert from DVI-D to HDMI which would go on the end of a DVI-D cable.

I wouldn't mind betting that the DVD player will have some kind of upsampler built in so you may be able to output either 720P or 1080i as per the Denon DVD2910. Your TV could then de-interlace it to produce 1080P. If it doesn't then I'm sure the TV will do as good as it can at doing the same trick.

You'll need to connect from the stereo outputs to an auxiliary socket on your TV & asign it to work with one of the HDMI inputs (shouldn't be to hard).

Meanwhile that leaves you the full surround stuff to go to the AV amp as there is usually a seperate stereo output for two channel. As an alternative you could use one of the digital audio outputs & feed that to the AV amp, or do both - in which case you could listen to the TV speakers or turn them down & give it some with the AV amp in stereo.

The world is going to be your oyster
    Bests, Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast