+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anybody tried a Hiface or an MF V-Link witha a Beresford Caiman SEG.

I'm Brian.

Default Anybody tried a Hiface or an MF V-Link witha a Beresford Caiman SEG.

Anybody on the forum tried either a Hiface or an MF V-link with a Beresford Caiman SEG. I was thinking about going down this road and would be interested to hear your experiences or comments. Also be interested in comments regarding any other USB to SPDIF converters which may work with the Caiman.
    Thanks.
    Brian.
    Last edited by brian2957; 09-11-2011 at 15:29.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Hi Brian, I'd love to try a V-Link but got beaten to one on here a short while back

What I use at the moment sure as hell aint bad though This is exactly what I use to convert USB to S/PDIF here.

It's feeding a dCS Purcell upsampler & Delius DAC & it sure as heck is making nice sounds. For the money it's a real steal. I'm pretty sure that John the music mod on here is using exactly the same

It also has galvanic isolation, which is very handy indeed
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Iain.

I have used a HiFace with a 7520 fitted with a Wolfson Dac and a Gator Board for a while and have had no problems at all, sounds really good to me. (A friend uses the HiFace into a Gatored Caiman, again no problems)

Just got the V-Link (sorry Mark) and it certainly works into the Beresford. (Not had it long enough to do direct comparisons for quality)

A benefit of both is that they auto switch sampling rates to match the file.

The V-Link will down sample 192 kHz to 96kHz, so they play on the Beresford. (The HiFace will pass through 192 kHz recordings which the DAC can't play). If you plan on getting 192kHz music and a new DAC then go for the HiFace.

The V-Link also works with Linux but I have not yet managed to fix the computer so that it won't resample all the audio to 44.1.
    Main: LP12, Akurate DSM, Akudorik Speakers
    Computer Room: Squeezebox Touch, Caiman SEG with Dorado, LK100, Radius90, XLS200.
    Living room: PC with Audioquest Dragonfly, Pi DAC, Sky Q, IncaTech Claymore, Kans.

Quote Originally Posted by isj1202 View Post
    Just got the V-Link (sorry Mark)
    You are more than welcome Iain, it was my dithering about looking for reviews & prices etc that made you get in the first I certainly don't blame you either

Enjoy & all the best to you
    Bests, Mark

I'm Brian.

Thanks Mark this little converter looks interesting . Nothing lost if it doesn't work. I might dip my toe in the water with this. Many thanks also Iain at least I know if I choose to go down this road there will be no problems. It's early days for me yet so I'm exploring the options. Please let me know how you get on .
    Thanks again guys.
    Brian.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    What I use at the moment sure as hell aint bad though This is exactly what I use to convert USB to S/PDIF here.
    Just a word of caution - probably an isolated incident, but I bought one too, and it packed up a couple of weeks ago - no idea why, not bothered to try taking it apart to see (I think it is the coax end, as Foobar still "sees" it) but just thought I'd pass on my experience. It sounded pretty good when it was working, though.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Awww, mine still works if I plug it in... Thing is I get paranoid if I don't hear the windoze tune when i boot up my PC (as the hifi isn't on), so I only plug it in to listen to Album club & 320Kbps MP3s...

Not a lot to go wrong Alex at the end of the day, at £15 or so it's not worth putting in front of an electronics engineer to attempt to fix it
    Bests, Mark

I'm tony.

Brian,
    I run a v link in my system.I had a gatorised caiman for a wee while,they sounded smashin together.v link is a great device when utilising usb,I run a MF M1 it sounds better with the v link. Im running a Mark Grant Trico/wtb silver co- ax. Expensive but once heard.......
    Regards Tony.

I'm Brian.

Thanks Tony , I've bought a linear PSU to try first , then may go down the USB to SPDIF converter route. At least I now know that they can be used together.
    Ta Brian.

+ Reply to Thread