+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Celestion DL6

I'm gone.

I heard a pair of UL6 a few months ago - I was amazed at the natural and open quality of the midrange. Very nice indeed.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I heard a pair of UL6 a few months ago - I was amazed at the natural and open quality of the midrange. Very nice indeed.

I'm Lucky.

Just as an aside, after I bought the DL6 the whole range was examined my Martin Colloms for HFN; he liked them - apart from the DL6 and actually said how much better the Tannoy Mercury was. I was gutted and soon replaced the excellent sounding sixes with some truly awful Musical Fidelity MC4.
    I was only a teenager with very little self belief and it was some years before I learned to trust my own judgement and ears.
    Nowadays I know that Colloms and I differ strongly about what good sound is..... C'est la vie!
    The Man with the suit and the pace. Knee deep in the dead.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Didn't Martin Colloms have a say in the Mercury design and/or "voicing?" or was it the Mercury 2? Once he'd "consulted" on products, I understand they then spent some time in his "reference systems." That's what I was told anyway.....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I heard Tannoy Mercury's years later and the wallowy bass they had with vinyl seemed significantly reduced with "live" radio and digital sources in fairness...
    Stop being so diplomatic Dave... They were bloody terrible.
    I bet Marco's Tannoys have wallowy one note bass as well....

( sorry Marco: it's the devil in me!)
    The Man with the suit and the pace. Knee deep in the dead.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post

You should hear them.

Take some ketchup.

It'll make those words easier to swallow

A mate of mine had some Tannoy Mercury M3's in about 1997. They were dreadful. Bass was definitely a weakness. Just dreadful.
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

I'm Chris.

I'm enjoying myself so much here that I'm thinking it's probably worth it to upgrade some of the crossover components on these.

I spotted 3 white ceramic sound coffins which could be changed for something less destructive like Mills.

There are 3 capacitors too. They all look electrolytic. Can't see all the values. One is 4.7 uFD. Not sure about the others. A tweeter damping resistor wouldn't hurt either although to be honest the treble is really quite nice already.

The binding posts aren't exactly fabulous either and the crossover is built on the back of same.
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

I'm Nobody.

Ansar 'Supersound' Polyprops & Mills 'MRA12' Reezistarz

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post

( sorry Marco: it's the devil in me!)
    No, you're absolutely right. I love wallowy bass, almost as much as I do a good buggering by a Bulgarian builder

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nobody.

What's a wallowy bass? Ive ni eard that technical term used efore!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast