+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pipe Organ Music

I'm Nick.

Default Pipe Organ Music

Similar vein to the Brass Band thread, but for me a different guilty pleasure. Pipe Organ Music. The sort of stuff you get in church. I've got a great collection of stuff played by Jennifer Bates called British Organ Music - Stanford And His Contemporaries, and the thing I love is the dynamic and frequency range of this stuff. Some lovely LFO's

Does anyone else out there like organ music, and if so, any recommendations?

Cheers!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ChrisB.

From the Grave
    What.....still no fans of organ music have arrived on these shores? Shorely not.

I'm Nobody.

Hi Nick
    Sorry new saw this thread till Chris resurrected it, yeah i love Organ music especially old JSB works..

Check out Alison Luedecke she's an awesome organ player.

I'm ChrisB.

I actually have to admit to not being at all partial to organ music really, but I do know that one of the best sounding organs in Britain is the Bevington organ at St. Mary's Church in Brighton. I've witnessed it personally & have to agree that, as organs go, it is pretty special.

http://www.stmaryschurchbrighton.co....on%20organ.htm
    http://www.stmaryschurchbrighton.co....20pictures.htm

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    From the Grave
    What.....still no fans of organ music have arrived on these shores? Shorely not.
    Pun accepted!

Nick, do you have the means to appreciate and reproduce 32' pipe notes? How about
    'Pag and Cav?': http://www.newburytheatre.co.uk/archive/200111b.htm?
    Barry

I'm drunk.

I like to listen to a good copy of Toccata & Fugue.

I love the deep notes and dynamics that only an organ can reproduce.

Strangely, this thread has had me trawling through you tube. I have discovered this talented lady called Helen.

Who is recreating modern music on the pipe organ and doing a superb job of it.

And to top it all, she is dead cute as well.

Her web site.

I'm Nobody.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Three Fates:Clotho (Royal Festival Hall Organ)
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 31-01-2011 at 12:41.

MartinT Guest

I completely missed this thread the first time round.

I love organ music and have a couple of precious direct cut LPs of Virgil Fox playing various Bach (including the Toccata & Fugue in D minor) on a Rufatti organ in California. They're on Crystal Clear records, still available on CD.

Another Rufatti, this time in San Francisco Hall, sees a fab recording of the Saint-Saens Symphony No.3 with Edo de Waart and the SFSO on Philips.

That same Rufatti is recorded again on Telarc with Michael Murray. An excellent selection but the Widor Adagio from the Symphony No.6 is superb, with some seriously deep bass that'll test your system to the core.

If you like the Poulenc Organ Concerto, Telarc again have a fabulous recording from the Boston Symphony Hall - Michael Murray: Encores a la Francaise, with one of my favourite conductors Robert Shaw and the Atlanta SO.

Finally, I can recommend The Auditorium Organ at Atlantic City Convention Hall with Timothy Hoag. This has a varied selection from the world's largest organ (featuring a console with no less than seven manuals) including a demonstration of the 64' Diaphone pipe

That's it for now, but I have more organ goodies

I'm Nick.

This is more like it! Thanks for all the tips chaps!

I heard a thing on Radio 4 a few months back about the sad state of the organ at the Royal Festival Hall. They made reference recordings before and after a good number of the pipes were removed to facilitate the modernisation of the acoustic treatments in the RFH. As it stands the organ is a pale imitation of it's once grand self, and 5000 pipes are still not fitted!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/9327470.stm

Check it out from 5'30 for a quick taste of what we're missing.
    Nick
    My system...

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Nick, do you have the means to appreciate and reproduce 32' pipe notes? How about
    'Pag and Cav?': http://www.newburytheatre.co.uk/archive/200111b.htm?
    i think my little JR149's would struggle to give a nuanced reproduction of a 32 foot pipe, which is why a Rogers Sub-Woofer wouldn't go amiss, if I can find one!
    Nick
    My system...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast