• 3 Stars

5 31.25%
  • 4 Stars

8 50.00%
  • 5 Stars

1 6.25%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 01.11.2011: Curtis Mayfield - Superfly 1972 (Vinyl, CD)

I'm Dean.

Default Album Club: 01.11.2011: Curtis Mayfield - Superfly 1972 (Vinyl, CD)

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly 1972 (Vinyl, cd)

Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Fly_(soundtrack)

Spotify link:http://open.spotify.com/album/7E9l34w4W4R280AOaBwdqf

I'll start with a classic album. My choice is the 1972 offering from the late Curis Mayfield. This album was the soundtrack for a popular "Blakplotation" film, Superfly. The album set to capture a focus on poverty and drug abuse. He sets a story of "telling it like it is" around the characters in the film, telling a vibrant story without moralising.

This was one of the early Soul concept album, like Marvin Gaye's What's going on". It blends fine soul & funk with lyrical finesse.The album was a big seller in the USA, sporting the million selling singles, Freddie's dead & Superfly.

Curtis was a member of the big selling Soul group, The Impressions. The combined sweet harmonies with social aware lyrics. In 1970, Curtis went solo producing a range of fine albums blending soul & funk with political awareness, social comment on the situtation of the day. Superfly is one of his best albums and is still relevant today.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...superfly&ajr=1
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 02-11-2011 at 07:26.
    Dean

There are only two types of music. Music I own and music I don't.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Great choice Dean, thank you. I've got it on CD, but might just have to seek out a vinyl copy.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm ILOB.

I never listened to the album fully before but know a few of the tracks. I found the album easy to get into my only negatitive comment would be radio slots I could do without them.
    I like Alex might purchase this on vinyl. I give it a few more plays before I decide
    At the moment I give this a 4
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Dave.

'Junkie chase' took me right back to the early cop shows of the 70s.

Great album and right in my teenage years bracket. Ultra mellow and relaxing especially with a bit of the old herb...

I just love 70s music...

A good 4/5 stars
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Dean.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I never listened to the album fully before but know a few of the tracks. I found the album easy to get into my only negatitive comment would be radio slots I could do without them.
    I like Alex might purchase this on vinyl. I give it a few more plays before I decide
    At the moment I give this a 4
    Hi John,

The original version on vinyl has not got the the radio interviews on it. The album has been re-released a few times with extras added.

The 25th anniversary version has the most extras on it.

You should be able to get a vinyl version if you hunt around.
    Dean

There are only two types of music. Music I own and music I don't.

I'm Barry.

Me no disco,funk,jive,soul - me hippy, prog, rock, indie.
    But hang on Sloopy , the early 70's was my "time" and I may not have listened to disco, funk,jive, soul but my conscious must have because I have dropped right into this Superfly groove

4out of 5

I'm ILOB.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIDB View Post
    Hi John,

The original version on vinyl has not got the the radio interviews on it. The album has been re-released a few times with extras added.

The 25th anniversary version has the most extras on it.

You should be able to get a vinyl version if you hunt around.
    Cheers Dean
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm John.

While this is a good album I can’t help feeling it sells Curtis Mayfield a bit short.
    You’ve got to love the Tabla and Bongo work on the album and the percussion in general.
    Cool 70’s grooves that wont leave you with a headache but I wish I didn’t think of the film when I hear the music coz it was awful imo.
    So Curtis, yep great, the album, because it’s a movie soundtrack, well, I’m not so sure.
    3 out of 5 from me but not because of the musical talent but because it’s a soundtrack to a film.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm ChrisB.

Yet another interesting choice for Album Club.
    I saw the film longer ago than I care to remember, but never really took much notice of the soundtrack to be honest. I've spun this twice so far this week & intend to spend a bit more time with it yet.
    Pretty good so far.
    Two things that I note:
    1.The lyrics are pretty serious stuff.
    2. For some reason I keep expecting to hear a soaring guitar solo from Ernie Isley, but never get one! Why the hell would I? He never went near the recording of this album!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    The lyrics are pretty serious stuff.
    That's the only "problem" I have with Curtis Mayfield - the lyrics - not that they aren't good, but he does cover some serious ground, and not just with this soundtrack. Have to say he's unique, though - as soon as he opens his mouth on any record you instantly know it is Curtis.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast