+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More Kef speaker questions

I'm Joe.

Default More Kef speaker questions

Hello, me again with more questions

So i have this pair of speakers which i was lead to belive where LS3/5A's.

But after taking a closer look today the crossovers arent the right ones for them to be, well at least i dont think they are,

Heres the speakers in question

Here is the crossover unit

Which crossover unit would i need to make these a pair of LS3/5a?

The white bit of paper stabled inside leads me to confim they where kit form as it states KEF KIT Model KK4 , which i cant seem to find anything about,
    also the serial numbers seem really low which means they where a really early set or not many where sold?

Next question is about the T27 tweeters,
    Are these really early ones again, would the 088 be serial numbers on them or where they never matched to be the same as im pretty sure they are both 088 stickers on them.
    They look a lot diffreint to the others in my later coda speaker, and the only information i seem to be able to find shows a picture on some bbc prototypes of the ls3/5

Sorry for all the questions, il stop asking soon

Joe
    - Joe

I'm Nobody.

If anyone sees a pair of original 'Cresta' (Circa 1967) yes please

Last edited by Rare Bird; 23-11-2011 at 00:16.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by joey View Post
    Next question is about the T27 tweeters,
    Are these really early ones again, would the 088 be serial numbers on them or where they never matched to be the same as im pretty sure they are both 088 stickers on them.
    If they are 'KK4'that tweeter should be a 'T27' (Type 6340) Melinex dome...
    The 'B110' (Type 6362)

Both used in the original 'Cresta' i'm looking for

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Those are EARLY T27's and no, you'll never make an LS3/5A out of them, as they won't be matched or calibrated to spec. The best you'll get is a poor bodge

Sorry, but it has to be said. Just enjoy the KEF-Kits as they are - the boxes look nice and the basic ingredients are fine. Why make it less sensitive and squeakier?????
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Those are EARLY T27's and no, you'll never make an LS3/5A out of them, as they won't be matched or calibrated to spec. The best you'll get is a poor bodge

Sorry, but it has to be said. Just enjoy the KEF-Kits as they are - the boxes look nice and the basic ingredients are fine. Why make it less sensitive and squeakier?????
    No need to be sorry id rather know what i have got than preted to have something i dont! haha

The only reason i thought they where was because someone told me they where and i never thought to check it further,

Anyway im going to leave them as they are they sound pretty decent for what they are and in my opion they suit my system and fit in with everything else,

Do you think those 088 stickers are serial numbers or just 088 stickers meaning nothing?

Joe
    - Joe

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Batch numbers possibly I don't know..

See what the capacitors are on the circuit board - some pics would be nice - and maybe you could make a useful change to these. Wilmslow Audio or Falcon Acoustics may have advice on "alternative" crossovers for these which may update the concept a little.

The main thing with the LS3/5A is that it had a tuned circuit to bolster up the very top of the bass unit's frequency range, aiding a smoother transition to the tweeter. This added loads of complexity I think and made driver matching to the individual crossovers a far more critical thing. A bad pair of 3/5A's (many repaired Rogers ones would be bad now, as they never supplied matched drivers out as replacements I remember) are not a pleasant thing to listen to at all IMO.

Enjoy what you have and maybe refine what's there sympathetically. That way you'll have another 40 years from them with any luck
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Batch numbers possibly I don't know..

See what the capacitors are on the circuit board - some pics would be nice - and maybe you could make a useful change to these. Wilmslow Audio or Falcon Acoustics may have advice on "alternative" crossovers for these which may update the concept a little.

The main thing with the LS3/5A is that it had a tuned circuit to bolster up the very top of the bass unit's frequency range, aiding a smoother transition to the tweeter. This added loads of complexity I think and made driver matching to the individual crossovers a far more critical thing. A bad pair of 3/5A's (many repaired Rogers ones would be bad now, as they never supplied matched drivers out as replacements I remember) are not a pleasant thing to listen to at all IMO.

Enjoy what you have and maybe refine what's there sympathetically. That way you'll have another 40 years from them with any luck
    Thats fair enouth, im still learning lots when it comes to this audio stuff!

I didnt think to take pictures of the crossover units when they where apart yesterday, so i need to go take them apart again to look at the crossovers
    - Joe

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I haven't got a clue what you have there as certain things are not making sense

What you have is a kit of components, the two bass/mid drivers, the two tweeters & the standard Kef crossover in a pair of enclosures I have a feeling that someone has stapled the kit checklist to the back of the enclosures & they are homemade, but probably done pretty well by the look of it

I remember receiving a Kefkit of a pair of B200, crossover & T27 as a 13 year old kid (lucky for some) & you don't get an enclosure - hense the kit bit

These look even earlier though in all honesty... No-one would sell a commercial set of speakers with "kit" in any part of the equation

E2A:- 1970 says it all... I was 13 in 1979
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    I haven't got a clue what you have there as certain things are not making sense

What you have is a kit of components, the two bass/mid drivers, the two tweeters & the standard Kef crossover in a pair of enclosures I have a feeling that someone has stapled the kit checklist to the back of the enclosures & they are homemade, but probably done pretty well by the look of it

I remember receiving a Kefkit of a pair of B200, crossover & T27 as a 13 year old kid (lucky for some) & you don't get an enclosure - hense the kit bit

These look even earlier though in all honesty... No-one would sell a commercial set of speakers with "kit" in any part of the equation

E2A:- 1970 says it all... I was 13 in 1979
    Mark they are Kef K4 they are the real units used as i outlined post No.4 about circa 1967/68

Joe: their should be a sticker on the side of the tweeter magnet stating 6340

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Mark they are Kef K4 they are the real units used as i oulined post No.4 about circa 1967/68
    No doubt Andr'e, but I seriously doubt they are manufactured (by a business) loudspeaker enclosures

Well not unless Kef was known as Kefkit back in the day

Ah, I see you are saying the same thing What a plonker I am
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast