+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What's comparable to LS3/5a?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Those little Harbeths may be good. But I'm guessing they can never beat the LS3/5a's midrange
    Oh Shane, I was selling LS3/5A's LONG before you were a twinkle in your dad's eye

Things moved on a very long time ago, and honestly, in some markets, a piece of poo wrapped in foil with a BBC monika on it would sell for bucket-loads - the LS5/12a is a typical example

The LS3/5A has a nice midrange, but Harbeth bettered that twenty years ago with the original P3. The current model is far better again, despite seeming to be too expensive for the far-eastern made brigade, using UK made active amp packs.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Oh Shane, I was selling LS3/5A's LONG before you were a twinkle in your dad's eye

Things moved on a very long time ago, and honestly, in some markets, a piece of poo wrapped in foil with a BBC monika on it would sell for bucket-loads - the LS5/12a is a typical example

The LS3/5A has a nice midrange, but Harbeth bettered that twenty years ago with the original P3. The current model is far better again, despite seeming to be too expensive for the far-eastern made brigade, using UK made active amp packs.
    Good God! I don't even want to know your age

There are people that still say the LS3/5a's midrange is still one of the best in the world. And a loudspeaker costing 5k will not beat it.

I've never heard an LS3/5a, so I don't know.

Anyway I better shut up now

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

No, just take my opinion with a healthy dose of salt - everybody else does

I'm Dave.

No, just take my opinion with a healthy dose of salt - everybody else does
    Salt - not good for the blood pressure..

I'm openingabottleofwine.

This makes interesting reading, especially Dudley Harwood's self imposed 'handicap'!
    Barry

I'm Lucky.

I don't get the fascination with little piss ant speakers ( unless you are very strapped for space).
    A pair of floor standers will usually take up no more space and have a far wider bandwidth and be more dynamically able IMO.
    The Man with the suit and the pace. Knee deep in the dead.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    One day I'll have to hear some Harbeths.
    If you ever find yourself travelling to Nottingham.........

I'm David.

Or Saffron Walden (shill shill shill )

Oh FFS, the Spendor SA1 should be widely available to hear from a Sevenoaks/Audio T (whatever, they're all the bloody same these days I believe) near you and should give you an excellent idea where modern "piss-ant" squeakers are these days (wonderful, I love it )

Shane, since you're fast becoming Jerry's box-swapping apprentice and if you'd like to try a classy little box (and influenced by Darren's gear), try to get hold of some Sonus Faber Concertino or better, Concerto speakers on their adjustable stands. Set the height so that the bass unit is at ear level (tweeter set slightly above) and keep 'em a foot or so from a back wall. You can look at the beautifully crafted boxes while grinning smugly at all those 3/5A luvverz who need a reality check IMO - the Concerto's were bloody good speakers and very good at letting the music through - doesn't matter which model, although they became easier to drive and integrate into the room as time went on, due to better drivers needing simpler, more phase-coherent crossovers..

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    This makes interesting reading, especially Dudley Harwood's self imposed 'handicap'!
    We at KJ were one of the very first dealers to sell Harbeth back in 1977 and all I can say is that the HL1 and especially the more consistent HL2 and 3 (not so different from each other I remember) became extremely popular and showed how far behind the BC1 was becoming on mixed musical content, especially "AOR" style of powerful rock music, which the HL1 handled very well in comparison. Maybe the tonal balance "irregularities" had something to do with this, I don't know, but an early HL1 would still hit the spot for many of us I think. Again, the current SHL5, although more refined, still has that certain "magic" to it and once infected with this, it's very difficult to take many other products seriously. And yet, some rega RS3's in direct comparison sound utterly charming with the basic ingredients so "right," despite a not unpleasant sparkle in the treble regions.

I'm Shane.

Or Saffron Walden (shill shill shill )

Oh FFS, the Spendor SA1 should be widely available to hear from a Sevenoaks/Audio T (whatever, they're all the bloody same these days I believe) near you and should give you an excellent idea where modern "piss-ant" squeakers are these days (wonderful, I love it )

Shane, since you're fast becoming Jerry's box-swapping apprentice and if you'd like to try a classy little box (and influenced by Darren's gear), try to get hold of some Sonus Faber Concertino or better, Concerto speakers on their adjustable stands. Set the height so that the bass unit is at ear level (tweeter set slightly above) and keep 'em a foot or so from a back wall. You can look at the beautifully crafted boxes while grinning smugly at all those 3/5A luvverz who need a reality check IMO - the Concerto's were bloody good speakers and very good at letting the music through - doesn't matter which model, although they became easier to drive and integrate into the room as time went on, due to better drivers needing simpler, more phase-coherent crossovers..

How dare you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast