+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What's comparable to LS3/5a?

Do you know, either Dave, how many thin wall trad monitors are still in use by the BBC, what proportion of their purchases are modern Harbeths (or similar), and what proportion off the production line active monitors?
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Dave.

No idea on the quantity but they use all manner of speakers including active ATC and many Harbeths, old and new.

I'm Ian.

It was something like these...

http://www.guildfordaudio.co.uk/stor...tems&page=used

(They may have been Stirlings)

That put the idea of the Harbeth P3ESR into my head. I have to say that IME the baby Harbs. are better in every way.

I'm Shaun.

I remember back in 1993/1997 owning a pair of nicely rosewood veneered Rogers LS3/5a's. I remember the truly dreadful fizzy/tizzy treble and the awfully false low frequencies. The midrange was truly beautiful though especially on acoustic guitar and saxophone, but that treble... ouch...!!!

At the moment I am using Dali Ikon 1's but as soon as I have the funds I am hoping to replace these with Audio Note AZ-2's. I love their midrange also and they so suit my taste in chillout music.

I'm Shane.

People say the highs and lows from the LS3/5a are very bad. But the midrange is very hard to beat.

Regards.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

You obviously haven't heard the current harbeths Shane. A TOTALLY different ball-game i PROMISE you and well up to active models in accuracy and subtlety, so good is that new-fangled cone material they use

I don't mind shilling for Harbeth, 'cos they deserve it, the hours of listening, blood, sweat and tears that went into producing them. THAT's one main reason why owners keep them for decades, after often many "HiFi alternatives have passed through their hands on the journey
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    Do you know, either Dave, how many thin wall trad monitors are still in use by the BBC, what proportion of their purchases are modern Harbeths (or similar), and what proportion off the production line active monitors?
    Don't know Brian, but I suspect the Dynaudio actives have the same duties as the BC1 "noise-boxes" had back in the day.. BC1's went out of service in the late 80's I understand... It would seem that the BBC's new studios sound rather different to those of old - good or bad I'm not qualified to say..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    You obviously haven't heard the current harbeths Shane. A TOTALLY different ball-game i PROMISE you and well up to active models in accuracy and subtlety, so good is that new-fangled cone material they use

I don't mind shilling for Harbeth, 'cos they deserve it, the hours of listening, blood, sweat and tears that went into producing them. THAT's one main reason why owners keep them for decades, after often many "HiFi alternatives have passed through their hands on the journey

Those little Harbeths may be good. But I'm guessing they can never beat the LS3/5a's midrange

I'm Dave.

They do - hands down.

I'm Shane.

One day I'll have to hear some Harbeths.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast