+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How did you get into classical?

I'm Malcolm.

What a great thread... on the shrieking sopranos thing: most sopranos (certainly most who get to make records don't actually shriek) but I think it can be an acquired taste - rather like whisky. First go may seem unpleasant, but keep going and you educate your palette. When you listen to a Joan Sutherland, say, and hear the support, the technique, the agility and the sheer beauty of the sound it's quite breathtaking IMHO. Similar, but different is the likes of Birgit Nilsson (steely heroism), Jessye Norman (regal dignity), Kiri Te Kanawa (alluring beauty), Leontyne Price (smoky sensuality) and so on.

My intro to classical was more basic - I remember being played The Planets at school and thinking it was fun, and being engaged by the titles of the pieces and how that related to the character of the music. At 18, owning my first CD player I went and bought The Planets on CD. I remember the local WH Smith had the Levine and Karajan (both on DG). The Levine would probably have had better sound, but for some reason "Berliner Philhrmoniker - Herbert Von Karajan" grabbed my attention. To be fair, apart from a little ferocity in the strings it is an incredible recording. Peer Gynt came next, I think with my first Mozart and Beethoven soon after.

I really don't know what turned me on to opera, but a compulsion had bitten. Tosca with Kiri Te kanawa and La Traviata with Joan Sutherland were my gateways into that world (after dabbling with CDs by Kiri, Jessye Norman and Joan).

My local record store of the time used to get the printed Decca, Philips, EMI and DG catalogues and they kind of opened the door in a big way for me too - allowing me in pre-WWW days to get a feel for the repertoire and artists. September 1991 was my first Gramophone magazine which I read solid for fifteen years!

Technics SL1210 MkII / SME 309 / Timestep PSU / Achromat / Denon DL-304
    Phono stage PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
    Lossless / MP3 / Tidal > Roon > Bryston BDP-1USB > Marantz NA-11S1
    Marantz UD7007 SACD/Blu-ray/DVD-V/DVD-A
    Toshiba BDX1200 Blu-ray player (Zone A & Region 1)
    Audiolab 8200AP pre-amp/processor
    Power amp: Arcam P7
    B&W 804S stereo (bi-amped), HTM4S centre, CDMSNT surrounds (5.0)
    Sennheiser HD 700 headphones
    Panasonic PT-AT6000 projector

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by m10 View Post
    I remember being played The Planets at school and thinking it was fun
    Snap - I have my (I guess long departed) primary school teacher to thank for that.

I'm Buffet-blower.

There was a certain inevitability to my getting 'into' classical music. I was brought up with music from a few days after I was born with my father being heavily involved with the music at our church. By the age of 5 I could read musical notation and it was at this point that I would learn to play my first instrument. My dad was a fairly competent brass player (he taught me to read music anyway) so I picked up a Cornet and began making dreadful noises through it.

Dad always had orchestral music playing through his hifi, and it fascinated me - even at bedtime I would go to sleep to the sound of classical music from downstairs which is probably why I still have such an emotional, even spiritual attachment to it which runs incredibly deep. At age 6 we had a placement teacher at our primary school who played the Clarinet and she would bring it into lessons and use it as a teaching aid. I was transfixed by it and pleaded my parents to let me learn to play it. 2 years later I took up the Piano but never had much talent for keyboard playing, sadly.

As years went by I progressed into school orchestras/county youth orchestra then playing with such groups as the Cambridge University Chamber Orchestra and then onto playing professionally. To not only listen to, but take part in the performance of classical music could therefore be said permeate into almost every aspect of my life. Bottom line though is that I feel extremely privileged.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

MartinT Guest

You were lucky, Richard. My parents were very non-musical and I ended up listening to a lot of classical on the Dansette via headphones, lost in my own world. However, my Dad bought a lot of Readers Digest classical collections - goodness knows why, as he never listened to any of it.

I'm James.

My father was a jazz and classical clarinet player who practised daily at home so it was in my audible background probably even before I was born. I cannot remember a time therefore when I actually got into classical music, it was always there and I just accepted thats how it was. For me it is more of a question about when I got into other music rather than classical
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    You were lucky, Richard.
    Absolutely, Martin and rarely a day goes by when I don't consider myself very blessed (if that's the right word?) to have been brought up in such an environment. To see my kids grow with strong leanings/interest in music is a joy too - our eldest has tried a few instruments (Clarinet, Violin, Piano) but settled on Flute and just oozes natural ability, she really has found 'her' instrument. She took it up in mid-October and has her Grade II ABRSM exam in 2 weeks and she'll walk it - I'm accompanying her for the exam on Piano and I will be so proud. Our youngest (now 3) can sing back simple pitch-perfect phrases I play to her on the Piano. Makes want to cry I'm so proud.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

MartinT Guest

My son took to electric guitar and plays it very well (he spent two years on the road); it substitutes for my lack of musical prowess.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345