+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Left field' suggestions for my next tt, please ...

I'm Jerry.

Default 'Left field' suggestions for my next tt, please ...

Hmmm ... my new Trichord Dino with its chunky Avondale PSU has been a nice improvement, but it seems to have resulted in a craving for a new/better turntable.

So, I'd be interested in suggestions from you good folks.

I currently have a Pioneer PL-600X direct drive. Highly rated by a certain magazine editor who is sometimes seen in this neighbourhood!

But I think I'd like a change - I'm a boxswapper, right?

So suggestions with a budget of, ooo - I dunno - up to 600 or so maybe. Less is fine.

I do like something that is a bit 'different' and I don't usually have much joy in revisiting kit I've previously owned (it's the boxswapper thing again!).

Suggestions please!
    Jerry

i. Qobuz internet streaming > Audiobyte Black Dragon DAC > Marantz HD-AMP1 > MBL 116F speakers
    Cables : Wyreworld Starlight USB, Epiphany Atratus III interconnect, Tellurium Q Silver speaker.
    USB signal pampering : Wired4Sound Recovery & Halide Bridge.
    Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT 250

ii Internet streaming > Audiolab MDAC > Marantz HD-AMP1 > Infinity Cascade 9 speakers & Jamo SUB200

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with far away trains passing by...

I'm David.

You could get a bargain from Alex and put his wife out of her misery (being moved out by all the CD's, wine and audio gear moving in Only 150 or so to you sir....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Have you tried a Nottingham Analogue TT, Jerry? I know I'll be accused of being an apprentice shill elsewhere, as DJSR is also a fan and hfi_dave is a dealer, but I can't help how I git to hear a rather nice sound first, can I?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/nottingham...ht_2946wt_1396
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with far away trains passing by...

I'm David.

That tonearm looks suspiciously like my mentor arm as well - hmmmmmmm......... Counterweight housing is slightly different though.

A twenty year old Spacedeck isn't quite the same as a current one I understand, but it's bloody good, can easily be serviced and sonically I think it beats most LP12's at their own game. One of the very few decks that transforms a Rega RB tonearm into something that sings beautifully, although Tom's arms are rather better I always thought - especially for Decca's..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Jerry.

Thanks DJSR. Mmm ... Alex's RPM4 does look nice. I'm a bit concerned that I'm prepared to pay more, though, if you know what I mean.
    Do you think Alex would accept 600?

Hi Alex - Yeah - I had a NottAnalog deck before - I didn't really get on with the sound and I was horrified at how delicate and fine the tonearm wires were ... I ain't goin' there again, bro' - nightmare!
    Jerry

i. Qobuz internet streaming > Audiobyte Black Dragon DAC > Marantz HD-AMP1 > MBL 116F speakers
    Cables : Wyreworld Starlight USB, Epiphany Atratus III interconnect, Tellurium Q Silver speaker.

ii Internet streaming > Audiolab MDAC > Marantz HD-AMP1 > Infinity Cascade 9 speakers & Jamo SUB200

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I knew the challenge would to be to find something you haven't tried before!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Jerry.

yep - I've tried a few in my time - that's why I suggested some 'left field' ideas would be useful!
    Jerry

Sitting here listening to my 401, I'm wondering...? Have you been there, before Jerry???

Probably end up going over budget, but not by a huge amount depending on arm and plinth, and assuming you have a cartridge you could use with it?
    Alex

I'm Jerry.

Nope, Alex, I've not done a 401, and the idea is appealing.

But I don't do DIY and I don't want to get into the game of getting stuff upgraded myself ... vintage stuff can often be money sinks, or so it seems to me.

I want to buy 'off the shelf' - plug & play, that's me!
    Jerry

So... fussy, hard to please, a bit lazy - and already with an extensive list of ex's - this will be harder than I thought!
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast