+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoroughly “pissed off”

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Default Thoroughly “pissed off”

Today has not been a good day at all! As some of you might know I am undertaking a programme of revisiting some ‘classic’ cartridges (both fixed and moving coil designs) and comparing their performance with my current favourite cartridges: the Decca, the EMT and Denon designs.

As part of this exercise I was loaned a cartridge by my friend Dave (known on the forum as DaveM), a Grace F-14/BR/MR. I was very keen to hear this design, as I knew of the F-9E and F-11 cartridges. Indeed I thought this design might be a ‘sleeper’.

Dave hadn’t used the cartridge for a few years since moving to the Goldring Elite mc design; it had lain in its box since then.

Now I like to pride myself that I can install cartridges into headshells with impunity: indeed I have probably done so to some twenty or more cartridges over my hi-fi ‘career’. However it was a loan item, so I though I should be especially prudent and being a fixed coil design, remove the stylus/cantilever assembly from the cartridge before fitting the cartridge body into a spare headshell.

Big mistake! – For whatever reasons the shaft of the cantilever assembly, which is 7mm long (very long compared to those of ADC designs, but short compared to the 12mm of Shure designs) had become stuck. The surrounding plastic cantilever shroud seemed to be made of a quite brittle plastic, or it had become brittle with age, with the result that it broke away from the stub of the cantilever assembly, leaving an exposed and vulnerable cantilever some 4mm long. Nonetheless I was able to fit the cartridge into an SME S2 shell and complete the connections. The entire assembly was then put back into the expanded polystyrene box of the SME shell until such time as it was to be set up in the arm. I have used ‘nude’ cartridges before (one of my EMT cartridges is such) and have used other designs having long and vulnerable cantilevers (such as the Sumiko ‘Blue Point Special’), so I knew that I could at least use the Grace in its present state.

Today I thought I would set it up, but before that I wanted to photograph the cartridge/headshell combination for my eventual report. I’m not sure exactly what happened but in removing it from the polystyrene nest, I must have caught the cantilever and being made of boron it snapped! Had the cantilever been made of aluminium it would have bent, but it might have been possible to straighten it if not too badly bent. Worse still I cannot remove the remains of the shaft. I have tried using tweezers and needle-nose pliers, but to no avail. This is especially maddening as Dave also supplied me with a spare stylus for the Grace F-9E, which might have fitted the F-14.

So you can imagine I’m not a happy bunny at all and am feeling quite contrite. I should say that Dave is remarkably stoical about his cartridge’s misfortune but it has as the title of this thread says: “thoroughly pissed me off”.
    Last edited by Barry; 21-10-2011 at 15:25. Reason: grammar
    Barry

I'm ChrisB.

That sounds like a bit of a disastrous day for you Barry. However, it's nice to see you back. Have you thought of applying a tiny bit of heat in the appropriate place to remove the snapped off stub?
    I'm not sure where or how much, but it could work, I'd have thought?

I'm Dominic.

You could always send it my way to see what can be done?

MartinT Guest

Or possibly a spell in the freezer if the expansion goes the other way?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Oops.... That is a bit of a nightmare, mate! I was looking forward to finding out what you thought the Grace sounded like, and I guess so were you!

Still, these things happen, and at least Dave's ok about it

Hopefully you'll be able to remove the remains of the shaft and manage to fit the stylus for the Grace F-9E instead, and all will not be lost! Keep us posted

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm ILOB.

Sorry to hear about such a bad day
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Oh, the times I've done just that.....

If the cantilever break is a clean one, it may be possible to splice the two halves together.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Neil.

Nice to see you back Barry but sorry to hear of your problem.

Regards D S D L

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the sympathy and suggestions. I’m still kicking myself over my clumsiness: if only I had left the assembly ‘as is’ on a shelf and not put it away in a box. I would be spitting feathers had it been my own cartridge, but having had it loaned to me I was beside myself with anger, especially as the cartridge cost ~ £1000 back in the eighties!

Writing my ‘confession’ was sort of cathartic for me. Anyway some positive news that partially ameliorates the situation: I have managed to remove the remnants of the stylus/cantilever tube. I did try heating up the cartridge body with a hairdryer (more gentle than a hot air gun), but this was not effective. The problem was there was not enough of the tube protruding from the cartridge body, to get any purchase with tweezers or needle nosed pliers. In the end, thinking I had nothing to loose, I used a miniature gimlet (?) screwed into the open end of the tube and continued to twist as I pulled. This, despite the tight fit, proved successful.

Dominic thanks for your offer of help. I thought of you after I had posted: “I’m sure there’s a member ‘up north’ who does cartridge repairs”. If it is of any interest, here is a photo of the remnants of the stylus assembly.

Top left: cantilever tube, centre: brass plug at the end of the tube, right: gimlet used to remove tube.
    Lower left: fragment of the broken boron cantilever, right: magnet (neodymium?)

Having removed the cantilever tube, I could now try and fit the replacement stylus for the F9E. Being mindful of the possibility that it too might be a tight fit, which could ultimately seize, with Dave’s permission, I applied a very small amount of WD 40 to the cantilever tube before insertion into the cartridge body. Every thing seems to have fitted properly as the following photos show.

There is a dearth of information on the Grace F-14, and I have absolutely no idea of its specification. There is some on the Grace F9E:

Output into 47KΩ (at 5cm/s ?): 3.5mV
    Response: 10Hz –45KHz
    Suggested VTF: 1.2g
    Compliance: 12cu
    Balance: < 1dB
    Separation: >28dB
    Stylus: 0.2 x 0.8 mil elliptical
    Cantilever: “low mass alloy”.

How fitting the F9E stylus into the F-14 body will alter the performance, is anybody’s guess.

Watch this space …….
    Barry

MartinT Guest

Well done, Barry.

Those bolts look a tad long?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast