+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jelco SA 750D.

I'm Shane.

Default Jelco SA 750D.

Just a little curious about this tonearm.

I'm thinking about getting a Jelco SA 750D & Denon DL-103 and will be used with my Townshend Rock II Turntable & damping trough.

Is the Jelco heavy enough for the Denon?

God knows how this combo will sound

Regards.

I'm Hugo.

Marco's your man to answer this one, but yes a DL103 will work with the SA-750D as long as you use a heavier headshell than the standard Jelco/Sumiko type.

I'm Shane.

Any particular headshell to go for?

Regards.

MartinT Guest

AT and Ortofon make some heavy headshells but they are hard to find. I'd recommend the Dynavector headshell but they are impossible to find! You often come across a Fidelity Research or similar shell on eBay. You may need the Jelco heavy counterweight in order to balance it.

Here's an example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ortofon-LH...item43a9a97902

I'm Dave.

IMO, the best are the original Fidelity Research headshells but they are rare and expensive when they do crop up.

There is not a lot wrong with the Jelco shells and if you feel the need for a more massy shell, just add a shim of brass, lead or a blob of Plasticene.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The Sumiko shell is the universal one I believe and isn't silly money either, although prices have increased I think in fairly recent times..

Wouldn't one of max's arms be a better deal with one of these decks? Stunningly good sonics if the deck is a well cared for one and the setup is good. The damping trough is a pita though I found...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm David.

I use a Jelco 750 with a Denon 103 and found the oyaide carbon fibre headshell (yes it is expensive but so are rolls royce's) a match made in heaven for me anyway.

The Jelco headshell as a bit weak IMO. So are their headshell leads, don't know if you have bought a Jelco arm yet but I have 1 left from the show pm if interested, new un-used.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Shane,

Headshell-wise, mate, it depends on your budget.... The Sumiko is very good, and has the added bonus of azimuth adjustment, which in my experience is always useful. The stock Jelco headshell (which on the surface looks identical to the Sumiko) is, IMO, and inferior item and not manufactured to the same high standard as the individual Sumikos.

However, like Hugo says, the Sumiko, in stock form, is simply not heavy enough to optimise the sonic performance of your DL-103. The Sumiko is 12g, and you need 16.5/17g of headshell mass for the results to be optimal, therefore you're 4.5-5g short.

If you want to use the Sumiko, and it is a good headshell, and readily available, my advice would be to fit one of the excellent VPI non-magnetic stainless steel headshell weights, which are 3g, shown here:

http://www.analogueseduction.net/pro...eight_VPI-SSHW

...and make up the small shortfall in mass, in the mounting hardware, by using heavier than normal screws and bolts - even adding small non-magnetic stainless steel washers between the headshell slots and bolts might be enough.

Since you're on the Analogue Seduction website, you may as well order the Sumiko headshell there, as in my experience, they're excellent to deal with:

http://www.analogueseduction.net/pro...adshell_SUM-HS

If you want to spend more, then I can thoroughly recommend the Ortofon LH-9000, which won't require any additional mass: http://www.analogueseduction.net/pro...ell_ortllh9000

And of course the superb Oyaide HS-TF, which our very own David Brook sells:

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/t...408650412.html

The latter two will ultimately offer better performance than the Sumiko, with or without the added headshell weight, (particularly so because of the superior quality headshell leads supplied) but of course they are rather more expensive. Hope this helps!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Shane.

Thanks, guys. And you too Marco.

Regards.

I'm Dalibor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast