+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Celestion DL10's - A classic waiting to be appreciated?

I'm Andrew.

You could rewire the thing with some decent copper if you wanted and cover this with Teflon, admittedly not as good as silver but you'd notice a difference. The inductors could be left alone (this seemed to be the advice from a few people who I talked to when I was doing the 15xr's). Recapping and rewiring will make a nice difference and one thats quite cheap and easy to do as well!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Chris.

Three ruddy pages and no pictures of the speakers!

iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

I'm Josie.

lol.. Pics of the speakers will be tomorrow too Chris.

Andrew... that sounds like static to me mate but I'd love to give it a try for a substantial improvement... or (more realistically) get someone to make some for me. Maybe NickG can?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Josie.

Hi Mark.. Here is the reverse and I've labeled the wires too... I was wrong in my previous post regarding the high and mid so ignore that.. oops!

Front

Back
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Josie.

Here are some pics I did earlier, better ones tomorrow.

10" bass driver, 6" mid driver and a 1.5" Titanium tweeter. Even the tweeter plate surround is cast metal

The Tweeter
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 13-10-2011 at 23:09.

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Apart from considering replacing the Alcap electrolytics, may I suggest adding wire links on the circuit tracks, as the tracks do look a bit flimsy - possibly...

These speakers wuld have been carefully designed by experts, so don't feel the need to go totally mad with them please
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Josie.

That sounds like a good idea Dave as my Tannoy crossovers are point to point. is it just the case of joining each joint with wire and keeping the tracks working? If so, what gauge wire is best here?

Not going mad, just thee crossover needs updating, everything else will remain the same.

One thing I have notivced about the construction of the cabs is that the mid and the tweeter compartments are tubular and made out of some kind of MDF. Never seen that before.

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

0.8mm solid core should be enough. Obviously, bare copper will tarnish, so, although it's a pain to solder, annealed copper wire as used in the coils will be excellent I reckon..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Andrew.

Joe,

Maplin do some good solid core copper. You might need a large store as it appears some of the smaller stores dont stock much in the way of shielded cables. They also do some silver plated, high purity pure copper wires if your interested?? You'd only need several meters.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Josie.

Thanks Andrew. I'm actually thinking of ordering the parts today from HIFICOLLECTIVE as it's too busy in town and I'm out of the way here. I'm confident of doing the job, done stuff like this before I just need a parts list. (wish I had learned more about electronics now)

Would you or anyone be able to help me and point me to the right parts on their website?

Also, the cabling to the speakers looks like decent stuff, is that something to leave alone, it wouldn't take much to change it really.

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast