+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Celestion DL10's - A classic waiting to be appreciated?

I'm John.

On a more serious note, it is a total pain moving home with regard to the Hi Fi and I do wish you the best of luck in sorting out an acceptable sound from whatever kit you end up with.

An I’ll have you know I got no firkin spannwers in my custom enclosures thank you very much
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Josie.

lol... thanks matey. It's a real pain moving house. So much stuff to think about.. and then hifi... jeez.

Well, I'm going to go with these Celestions for a while but still thinking of what I can do with the Tannoys. Love em to bits.

Nah.. your kit sounds tops matey... No spanners inside.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm John.

Oh I’m sry Andre, you’re quite right, it’s a stereo. Do they have these up your way, or just in mono prolly (?)

Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Cheers.. Hmm.. your right. I think a fettle is on the cards for the crossover although I'm sure they will be fine.

Thing is I've no idea how to do that so I'd need someone to make them for me. If you know of anyone do let me know. I could post some pics of the crossovers and ask for advice I suppose, it can't be that difficult.

Internal foam looks brand new but is there anything out there that can be an improvement? Again, no idea if there is.

What did you use sorbothane for?

1. The cross is pretty easy if you can use a soldering iron. My knowledge about electronics is very basic, I've just bought a couple of books to try and get a grasp. I've even "hard-wired" the celestion cross over. Yeah, for all the guys that are super wizards at this topic, dont laugh!!! I'm only just starting out Post some picks and lets see what we have!

2. Just shove more foam in there.

3. I had some spare sorbothane so I attached it to the speakers top and sides and behind the drivers (tweeter and base unit) to stop vibrations from the cabinet going into the driver units. I used 1mm sorbothane but you can also use any urethane if you can get your hands on it.

ok guys I'm now buggering off to walk the dog, have some Sunday dinner, laters!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Don't just bodge around without having an idea of what you want to do. Those Celestion engineers were'nt bloody amateurs you know and knew how much wadding/foam to put in the boxes. Too much is as bad as too little you know - been there and done it guv'nor

Some pics of the crossovers would be nice. I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours

Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Josie.

ok here is the DL10 (s2) crossover. Can anyone tell me what to replace and what with.. if anything?

Also a pic of the bass driver... nice cast basket.

Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Hi Joe, you should definately replace the 4uf Alcap near the bottom of the picture as that nasty thing is feeding the tweeter from what i can make out

Are these things three way? If so can you get pics of where the leads are going? A view of the rear of the PCB would be good to! Make sure you have the leads visible coming off of the PCB
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Josie.

Hi Mark.

Yeah they are 3 way. The yellow and black go to the bass driver. The red and black (HF+ & HF-) go to the tweeter and the brown and black go to the mid range.

Would it be better to just replace all of the caps? - Also, can these crossovers be improved at all, or I should say upgraded/updated? If so what components would I need?

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I'd suggest that you only need to really fuss over the ones that are feeding drivers & not so much the ones in parallel There will be a capacitor feeding the midrange unit & while i'd hazard a guess & suggest it could be the 20uf cap i'd still like to see the back of the PCB so i can follow the tracks & see exactly what is going on...

I don't want to make a mistake, so a little time from you will help in confirming things chap

Hope that helps matey!
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Josie.

no probs.. Makes total sense Mark. I'll get a pic of the back of the board tomorrow.

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast