+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Celestion DL10's - A classic waiting to be appreciated?

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post

Also, the cabling to the speakers looks like decent stuff, is that something to leave alone, it wouldn't take much to change it really.

Joe,

I had never ever refurbished a set of speakers until I did the 15xr's. Its very very easy. I dismantled the 15's and just figured out where everything went and took loads of photo's to act as reminders. Recabling the speakers is very very easy. Its just a matter of remembering where the cable goes from the x-o to each driver. I bought a pair of Wharfdale XP3's which have a slightly more complicated x-o than my celestion 15xr's simply because I wanted to understand how the x-o worked (incidently Wikipedia do a good page explaining the various x-o types). Good lucj mate !
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Hi Joe, cheers for the pictures I can confirm that it is indeed the 20uf that you need to change that feeds the midrange unit...

All the others appear to be parallel with the drivers & while they may well make a small difference to the sound, they'll have nowhere near the effect of the ones in line with the drive units
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Josie.

Hi Mark.

I thought I might as well change the lot to be honest seeing as they will be out anyway. Thing is I can't see any 45uf or 8uf caps on hificollective.

The ones I've found are these, are these ok?

(CAP-20u600) - 20uF 600V MIEC Axial Electrolytic Capacitor
    (CAP-4u600) - 4uF 600V MIEC Axial Electrolytic Capacitor
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Chris.

8 uF is available in the Clarity Cap SA range:

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/comp...itycap_sa.html

47 uF is close enough to 45.
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Hi Joe, i'll have a look about fella You really don't want to be fitting any kind of electrolytic again unless forced to
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Josie.

oh i see.. Ok Mark, thanks.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Hi Joe, i'll have a look about fella You really don't want to be fitting any kind of electrolytic again unless forced to
    Cheers matey, not badly priced either. Do the values have to be identical?

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm John.

Hi Joe.

I’ve not had any problems using higher voltage rated caps as long as the capacitance value is the same; there may even be some benefit with regard to cap life doing this.
    What I think can matter is matching the ESR value.
    Also, when upgrading crossovers, particularly when changing to polypropylene caps people tend to go for tighter tolerance caps and this isn’t necessarily a good thing particularly with speakers that have had some care taken in the listening and tuning process.
    Midrange and hi frequency drivers seem to benefit most from the upgrade to polypropylene caps while the low frequency drivers seem to be happy enough with the speed of decent electrolytics; handy given the price of high capacitance value polypropylene's.

You can of course shop at Hi Fi Collective, but if you fancy saving yourself a few quid these people are good, know about their stock and sell high quality caps but without the audiophile names and price tags.

http://www.audiocap.co.uk/400v-polyp...eries-22-c.asp

So, match capacitance, tolerance and go for something with low ESR values would seem sensible.

Oh arr, if you're going to hardwire the tufnol boards are excellent, they'll even pre drill and sort the layout for you.

http://www.qtasystems.co.uk/crossovers.htm
    Last edited by Welder; 15-10-2011 at 22:32.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Andrew.

John,

thanks for the links to the 2 websites, I have book marked them for future projects
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm thomas.

My actual first post at the forums so be gentle.
    Sorry for bringing back such an old thread but I believe that old equipment that had more than the average attention of the original designer deserve a little more than collecting dust and rust in a basement.
    I am trying to refurbish for some six months a pair of DL 10 (series one I suppose). Their boxes were fine , added some bitumen pads in several places and new foam, some new screws with inserts holding the drivers in place with inserts on the baffles. Bass and midrange drivers in excellent condition but tweeter missing and was replaced by a cheap no name that threw away. I replaced them with a pair of JBL control 28 spare I found that do the job but something is always missing to my ears.
    Recently I found I pair of original T4816 celestion 1" 1/4" tweeter that hope will sing a lot better than the JBLs.
    So now I'm ready for some rewiring and restoring the crossover which I have a doubt that it is in its' original condition. And that is where my question goes. Can anyone of the above participants of the thread post a pic of the crossover or has the exact values of the capacitors and the white blocks fitted so I an replace the old ones.
    Here's a pic of mine if it helps and thank you in advance.
    please note that theactual name of the speakers is SP9 instead of DL10 but are exactly the same.
    capacitor values 6.8mf , 4.7mf, 22mf and unknown SIEMENS B41020
    Last edited by ranxerox; 04-02-2019 at 08:24.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast