+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Celestion DL10's - A classic waiting to be appreciated?

I'm Josie.

Default Celestion DL10's - A classic waiting to be appreciated?

Hi guys.

I've dug out my late farthers Celestion DL10's the other day and what a great sounding speaker. Very monitor sounding.

I've been after a pair for ages but after some persuasion my mum decided that she wanted some smaller speakers.. Which she does anyway.

They haven't been used for a while so when I got them out of the box I was very surprised in the weight and quality of them.

Similar in size to the Harbeth SHL5's and sporting a 10" bass unit, a 6" mid and the legendary titanium dome tweeter. They are cast metal baskets with paper cones too.

So... in sound quality terms what are these like? Well... they are totally different beasts than my Tannoys so I'm not going to compare here but the sound is superb! Very much like the SHL5's (of which I've previously compared too) except that the bass reflex is on the rear and not the front like the SHL5's.

Bought in 1984 from Superfi in Sheffield these were originally partnered with a Trio hifi delivering 50wpc and boasting the first ever CD player by Trio (Kenwood).

Now they are being driven by my Glenn Croft Quad II's and basic 25 pre and it's not until you get something like this driving them that you can really appreciate the DL10's.

Looking on the net and doing a search for the DL10's you will find more adverts for sale of them than anything but you will also find more people saying that they regret selling their DL10's too.

So, I want to put these speakers in a new light. One person on a forum said 'the DL10's are great speakers but not audiophile'... A very grey statement if it was ever a statement in the first place because if that's the case I need to be re-educated in to what an audiophile speaker truly is.

I think a great speaker should give drama, space and dynamics and make you feel the music. These do all of that but in a Celestion way like the Harbeths and Tannoys do it in their way.
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 08-10-2011 at 18:54.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The lower DL models were well liked and my mate in the US is very much enjoying some DL8's he tells me.

Go for it, but you know you've consigned these to rocket in value now, along with Ditton 44's et al
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Josie.

lol.. Well, there isn't much on the net about them to be honest. The DL8's are a great speaker too my friend has a pair still going strong and being driven by an Audio Note.

These speakers are great for valve amps too.

Specifications of the DL10:

• Ported, 3-way, 10-inch woofers, 6 1/2-inch midrange and 1 1/4-inch dome tweeters.
    • Sensitivity at 91db
    • Frequency response is 45-22 khz. + and - 3db.
    • Recommended Minimum amplifier power: 10 watts, maximum: open.
    • Nominal impedance: 8 ohms.
    • Dimension: 720 x 340 x 300mm
    • weight is 43 lbs each (20kg's each)
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm John.

Well that’s just bloody typical!
    Just coz you’ve got to get rid of yer bloody overrated Tannoys, you’ve gone round yer mums and picked on her kit ffs.
    I’ll tell you right here and now my kids aint getting my HI Fi

(glad I've got girlies if this is how sons behave )
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Josie.

lol... well, they were free.

Watch ya tongue n all you...haha... Tannoys are luvley. None of your overated Custom 3 way Monitors,Volt 250 bass&ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621Mid & D2905/9300Hi

Bet they sound like a bag 'o' spanners!

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Bet they sound like a bag 'o' spanners!
    I bet they do to

When the CD playing is a recording of a bag of spanners
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Josie.

haha... BBC sound effects RULE!

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Andrew.

It sounds like the older celestions are worth a look. I bought my 15's of a car boot for £30 I think. I've spent about another £30 rewiring, new binding posts. i managed to scrounge some sorbothane to dampen them down further and also some old foam which happened to be in the garage. I got some new caps of Andre (BIG THANKS!) and they sound totally new. Previously I'd slagged celestion stuff off but with a fettle they do sound very good so I can only speculate that the bigger speakers sound even better. I would strongly consider fettling the speakers and rebuilding your cross overs. My celestions are now in my second setup and I think I'll be keeping them!!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Nobody.

DL10! what are they then

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    It sounds like the older celestions are worth a look. I bought my 15's of a car boot for £30 I think. I've spent about another £30 rewiring, new binding posts. i managed to scrounge some sorbothane to dampen them down further and also some old foam which happened to be in the garage. I got some new caps of Andre (BIG THANKS!) and they sound totally new. Previously I'd slagged celestion stuff off but with a fettle they do sound very good so I can only speculate that the bigger speakers sound even better. I would strongly consider fettling the speakers and rebuilding your cross overs. My celestions are now in my second setup and I think I'll be keeping them!!
    Cheers.. Hmm.. your right. I think a fettle is on the cards for the crossover although I'm sure they will be fine.

Thing is I've no idea how to do that so I'd need someone to make them for me. If you know of anyone do let me know. I could post some pics of the crossovers and ask for advice I suppose, it can't be that difficult.

Internal foam looks brand new but is there anything out there that can be an improvement? Again, no idea if there is.

What did you use sorbothane for?

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast