+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wharfdale Linton 3XP speakers

I'm Mike.

I had a pair last year, and yes in a modestly sized room rock music has plenty of thump through them, as i recall they do have that 70's sound, plenty of bass and mid range only let down slightly by the high frequencies and stereo imaging, however i found they mellowed the sometimes over bright and clinical sound you get from CD and they put a smile on yer face.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Sometimes, I think our memories are extremely rose tinted. However, I vividly remember my first exposure to proper HiFi, and that was an SP25mk3 with AT66 I think/Metrosound ST20 amp and Denton speakers. having recently bought some Dentons of the same era (late 60's), I do have to say that my memories weren't too inaccurate, since what they lack in smoothness and absolute resolution, they make up for with a huge-hearted sound that never fails to make me smile, since they cover their tracks so very well. Hopefully, these later Lintons will do the same for you with any luck
    Funnily enough I picked up a pair of Dentons last year out of curiosity.
    I remember as a kid looking through the mags at the the double page Warfedale ads where they'd have the whole range spread across the pages.
    Must have been about 10 years old at the time so no real money to buy anything like that, so just magazine shopping.

I'd agree with your assessment of the Dentons - big warm sound for a small speaker but a bit soft toned and foggy. Be interested to see these Lintons and how they perform.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

My Dentons (mk1's with that purply coloured cone-dome tweeter directly above the bass unit) don't lack sparkle at all (good for my ears at low volumes), but i agree about the "foggy" quality, which was just right for a cheapo budget UK made amp and SP25 style turntable, their rapid bass roll-off suppressing rumbles. The Lintons will certainly have a smoother bass for the 8" driver I think. Hope so anyway
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

synsei Guest

I seem to remember the cheapest model in the Wharefdale XP range having a dual concentric drive unit with high frequencies being handled by a wizzer cone. I always assumed these were the Dentons, can anyone shed any light on my foggy memory?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

To my knowledge, Dentons always had a tweeter of some description, the purple cone-dome of mine evolving into a purply cone and then a paper one I think, which for some reason was offset to the right above the bass unit (and not mirror imaged either I believe).

Tell you what guys, if you see some Wharfedale 505's cheap, these were and are excellent as long as you don't mind black vinyl wrap boxes.....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12