• 3 Stars

6 22.22%
  • 4 Stars

5 18.52%
  • 5 Stars

8 29.63%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 04.10.2011: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery (1973) (SHM-CD)

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Well I have no need to dally over this one, played it once earlier and just about to play it again as I have two copies - the original Atlantic CD and a remaster as well. As André will know, the BSS tour was also the first concert I went too and recently bagged a ticket on eBay (lost mine somewhere )

I bought this on vinyl when it was released as they were my favourite band at the time and I was in awe of the artwork, as well as (most of) the album. I love it all apart from BTB, which I never really got in 1973 and still don't now - it just doesn't work for me. However, Karn Evil 9 was a ground breaking piece of music, way ahead of it's time as were a lot of ELP's work. I shudder when some people write them off with other prog bands, as ELP were so different and IMO should NEVER be compared to Rick Wakeman! Still... You Turn Me On remains one of my all time favourite tracks as does Lucky Man and TBH I play the first album more than anything these days, so it was great to get this out again. In fact I am toying with ordering the vinyl again just to get the artwork

No brainier for me, a firm

£2.20
    Last edited by Tim; 04-10-2011 at 22:05.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

MartinT Guest

I played it again just to remind myself what a towering achievement it was, possibly only matched by Tarkus in their output (I won't count Welcome Back... as that is a live album). The thing is, like all the best music, I keep getting more out of it. More recently, I've really appreciated KE9 2nd Impression, which could so easily form the basis of a piano concerto. Like Tim, I feel that BTB is out of place and wonder why they didn't put BSS on it

A wonderful album, as progressive as they come and great because of it. 5 stars.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Superb choice Andre - and an album I only discovered a couple of years ago because of you, so thanks for that. Have to confess that I love Fanfare for the Common Man which would have to be my favourite ELP track, but overall this is such a stonking album... I will give it a fresh "Album Club Ears" listen as soon as I can, and then score it accordingly - but thanks in the meantime for your selection.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm John.

Good choice Andre, even for a pop loving peasant like myself
    I’m not an ELP fan I have to admit. I like some prog but not the more common stuff.

Anyway, I have this and Tarkus on CD and I’ve given both a play today.
    The CD is the re-mastered version with the bonus tracks.

Good things; Greg Lake and Carl Palmer. Bad thing, Keith Emerson.
    My favorite tracks must be When Apple Blossom etc etc and Karn Evil 2nd.
    I prefer Tarkus overall but I’ll probably give this another play over the next few days.
    I had hoped you were going to go Gong and I could have given loads of fives but ELP is just a 3 for me.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Simon.

quite looking forward to trying this out. I really have no clue about these except for the doc on beeb4.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    My favorite tracks must be When Apple Blossom etc etc and Karn Evil 2nd.
    I prefer Tarkus overall but I’ll probably give this another play over the next few days.
    I had hoped you were going to go Gong and I could have given loads of fives but ELP is just a 3 for me.
    Can i just stress that the album in question consists of the below:

1. Jerusalem
    2. Toccata
    3. Still... You Turn Me On
    4. Benny The Bouncer
    5. Karn Evil 9 (1st Impression - Part 1)
    6. Karn Evil 9 (1st Impression - Part 2)
    7. Karn Evil 9 (2nd Impression)
    8. Karn Evil 9 (3rd Impression)

Bonus Tracks:

''Brain Salad Surgery'' (Was an A Side single) Never appeared on the album but later appeared on the 1977 album 'Works Vol.2'

''When the Apple Blossoms Bloom in the Windmills of Your Mind, I'll Be Your Valentine'' (Was the B Side to the ''Jerusalem'' single) ''WTABBITWOYM'' again appeared on the 'Works Vol.2' album

''Excerpts from Brain Salad Surgery'' : This was a flexi Disc offered in conjunction with New Musical Express, the flexi included the single ''Brain Salad Surgery'' but also included excerpts from the album as the title says..
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 05-10-2011 at 22:31.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Ah, the NME flexi-disc.... whatever happened to mine
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Steve.

Brilliant album Andre, if not surprising as your choice. Musicians at the pinnacle of their prowess, with a stage show to match! I really like ELP, and remember watching a documentary that followed them on tour, might be available on youtube?
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Will.

Well despite my old album looking a bit worse for wear it still sounds pretty good, sound quality wise.

Now for the content...

I've got a couple of problems with listening to ELP in 2011, Carl Palmer's robotic drumming (more concerned with speed than rhythm), and Greg Lake's vocals, both content and delivery...he reminds me of someone singing in an early 70s rock opera, and as for his appalling mockney accent in 'Benny the bouncer' the less said the better.

Jerusalem works well, as does toccata, Karn Evil 9 (1st Impression - Part 1), Karn Evil 9 (1st Impression - Part 2), and Karn Evil 9 (2nd Impression)

But the rest do nothing for me, 'Benny the bouncer' & 'Still, you turn me on' being particularly cringe-worthy.

At times I was reminded of that famous John Peel quote that 'ELP are a waste of talent and electricity', perhaps a little harsh from uncle John. On balance, and given that it was an adventurous album for '73 I'll go for a 3, Emerson's keyboards in the better passages are worth that alone.

Cheers, Will

I'm Nick.

I have had a listen, and despite the clear quality of the playing I have a couple of reservations that means its somewhere between a two and three for me. There seems to be a lack of dynamic in the playing. Its seems to be either loud and fast, or louder and faster. Compaired to similar period King Crimson who were masters of playing very very loud and fast and then very very quiet, and playing off the contract between the two. ELP doesn't pull me into the music as say Larks Tongues. The other area I have a problem with is the rhythmic feel of it all, it is very "upright" maybe showing its european classical roots, no one seems to play against the beat. But again thats down to my preference for blues based playing instead of string quartet. I guess I am saying its got no soul.

Just my 2d anyhow.
    Nick.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast