+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tangent RS2

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Saul too much View Post
    What is it about the 70s Japanese stuff and the old Naim unit you mention that particularly work with these speakers?
    Because they were designed and voiced with Naim.
    Last edited by MartinT; 03-10-2011 at 21:42. Reason: Fixed broken quote

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Saul too much View Post
    I'd have though the Naim would be quite different in approach and hard/expensive to aquire.

This is the trouble with posting the same question all over the place, as you'll no doubt get a different answer from dozens of people who don't even know what RS2's are and how they were "voiced" at the time....

I really don't wish to sound patronising and apologies if I do, but Naim have changed quite dramatically in tonal presentation over the decades, even if the overall standard hasn't always moved on that much (in my opinion). The original "Bolt-Up" stuff had a FAR looser and more "valvey" kind of presentation, even if they ate their original power supply caps and drifted all over the place as seems common for many Naim "era's." It's the CB and Olive naim era's you have to be careful of, although most of these now will be on their second and even third service now, since they're quite old now (especially the circa thirty year old CB range).

I should also mention that CURRENT Naim gear seems to sound rather opposite to the often astringent CB era, the sometimes harsh-hitting quality traded for a beefy, if slightly now "shut-in" quality IMO. Tests in HFW seem to back this up, the higher order distortion (which isn't very low) being traded for more low-order, which may not be as "irritating on the ears" as the amps drift off spec. Just my views, but I think these opinions can be backed up with some sort of evidence, and not just an opinion based on listening tests.....

Maybe I've over-stressed the matching issue with the RS2's, but to fully appreciate what they're all about, it really is well worth the effort to match them with sympathetic gear - good valves too should be considered - Apollon? for not much money????? Get this right and I promise you the results will be worth it
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Steven.

I hadnt seen mention of that. So would a suitably powered Exposure or rega be likely to work well with them? I didnt take to the Nait 3 but I realise it's not the best example.The problem with Naim of course is that it is pricy even used.I suppose the upside is that you can get your cash back if it daesnt suit.I noticed an AR A60 on flea bay for £40

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Old amps from any manufacturer may need a re-cap and re-set up, so the budget should be there to acommodate this. The A60 is a case in point, depending on it's long history in use. Not many manufacturers allowed a large margin in their supply capacitor choice and many amps (but I appreciate not all) do seem to need these replaced after thirty years or so

The old Exposure stuff will also work, with the service proviso above, Rotel's from the late 80's (preferable the "9" series in this case I think) will make inexpensive partners I think. The Naim Nait 3 wasn't at all bad when new, but could possibly be a bit limp-wristed driving the RS2's and the sample you heard may by now need a service to fine-tune the internal settings. The original Myryad integrated (MI-120) is lovely if you can find one and even the much underrated but not very versatile Quad 77 integrated will surprise I think. back to Arcam, the Delta 90, Alpha 9 and 10 and the larger FMJ series should also be ok. The Alpha 8 amp was too harsh and "ringy" IMO..

I think the trend coming through is for a big-hearted and large-supplied amp, rather than the "turn-on-a-sixpence" style of screamer so often favoured by the likes of WHF in their over-damped listening room(s)

I'm Steven.

No need to worry about patronising me Dave.I have good ears I think but limited knowledge so I'm happy to be the good fool who cannot feel patronised.
    The NAIM you mention I assume is the NAp250 that goes for around £800 plus. No sign of any 120s! I appreciate your time/effort in giving me a full considered reply.
    I posted my question on two sites where I had seen Tangents discussed. Course you're right about the risk that entails in the kind of answers likely but it's worth sifting through.Ultimately it just allows me to make more informed choices of what to try.
    Course at the end of the day it becomes subjective either way!
    Having previously like Exposure gear I'm certainly tempted by one of their pre/power combinations which can be had for better prices than NAIM but share some of their properties.I'm not sure I'd be keen on something that drifts(assume you mean the image/soundstage).
    Valve gear is also interesting and I'd look into it.I moved from an exposure 20 to a kit valve set up that was just too murky.I'm sure other stuff will be better.Mind you that's two ends of a spectrum to some extent.I'll look into some more of those suggestions. I suspect there will be a fair bit of buying trying and selling over the next few months but the beauty of freely available used gear is that you can try things out without losing much on resale.

I'm Nobody.

A&R Cambs 'SA150'/'200' were a good power amp.

I'm David.

By "drifting," I meant the internal setup-voltages, which are known to go off after a few months/years in older Naim gear and affects case temperature as well as sonics. When a vintage Naim is serviced properly, it should be completely re-set up internally - and usually is in fairness. Quite often, CB era amps come back sounding far better than they ever did when new.

Yep, the NAP120 is very rare indeed, but was a real giant killer, helping more than you'd think to establish the brand originally. a MUCH better sound than the scraggy old NAP110 IMO.

I'm Steven.

Right I'm with you.Expensive stuff though! I should try to find a solution that works for less really inspite of the temptation to give one a try.

I'm Steven.

They arrived and I'm impressed.They do most things very well.Certainly image nicely and seem to disappear as a point source to some degree.Good bass response for something this size and not the irritating bouncy bass you get with something like BR2s. They seem very nimble and have a very real tone especially with acoustic instruments.Couple of times things in the upper mid area seemed to be lower in the mix than I've been used to but nothing to disturbing.
    Trialling a few cdps, the NAD C541i which I previously found to bright /hard sounded good with Floyd and acoustic stuff but when it came to Miles Davis quartet the hardness of the leading edge of notes began to grate.The Rotel 965 seems to handle that better although it is less detailed and crisp and possibly less rhythmic.The Cambridge did seem brighter and more rhythmic than the Rotel and less detailed than the NAD.
    Could certainly take some time to work out hich cdp is most suitable all round.Currently only have my bedside stereo(a newish Marantz CR502) to use with the speakers.Rated 40wpc into 8 ohms.Doing ok with the quartet stuff at lowish levels but RogerWaters bass got at a bit boomy at times earlier.
    I'm thinking something voiced on the slightly warm side with good PRaT would be ideal with these.Would need a fair output though to control the bass I guess.

I'm ChrisB.

Steven,
    This might be to your advantage - take a wee peeky over here

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast