+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Gig You Went To...

I'm Steve.

Ok, not the last gig I went to... but the next one!
    Caravan and Curved Air over in Holmfirth tomorrow night.
    Not sure I'll still get into the 32inch waist loons though.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Will... Spiritualized are a great live band. I once had a completely trancendental moment with Spiritualized at Bristol's Colston Hall. Almost floated out of my seat during Electric Mainline!
    Likewise Nick, I must have seen them about 15 or so times, it's always a great experience, and now with a beefed up band...and those strobes!!!

Anyway what can one expect from a man who released an album (well Spacemen 3), called 'Taking drugs, to make music to take drugs to'

Good job I'm a clean living kid...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by DanJennings View Post
    I saw the Specials last night at Wolverhampton Civic...

it was the most fun I've had in ages. And you could buy a recording of the concert on CD when you left the venue. Don't mind if I do!

I had a quick listen, the sound quality is surprisingly good.
    I saw them last year at the Ricoh in Coventry, great fun but they were absolutely slaughtered, they'd been on it all day...I've never seen security at a gig so frightened of an audience (more bifters on the go than you could shake a stick at), they'd have given Millwall away fans a run for their money.

But they did show last year's Wolverhampton gig on Sky arts, in 5.1, an they did an excellent performance there, I wonder if that's where the recording came from.

They're on again here on the 29th, but it clashes with the Rapture, and to be honest it's just a bit too Cov. to go again
    Cheers, Will

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post

But they did show last year's Wolverhampton gig on Sky arts, in 5.1, an they did an excellent performance there, I wonder if that's where the recording came from.
    The recording came from the show I went to... 12/10/11.... they burned the CDs and you could buy them in the foyer almost immediately after the show. Technology eh?

I just gave the double CD its first proper listen on the way to and from work today actually, and it's great, almost as fun as it was being there.

I'm Will.

Tindersticks @ Warwick Arts Centre 22/10/11

This was advertised as an hour of their film scores to Clair Denis's movies followed by a full Tindersticks gig...

However, if your ever at a Tindersticks gig and you hear Stuart Staples (the lead singer) say 'Sorry I've got laryngitis, I can't sing, so we're just going to do the film scores'...run like the wind.

If you know Tinderstics you'll know how important Stuart Staples baritone is to their sound...even to their film scores, 'Trouble Every Day' etc., we even had the bass player attempting to sing 'tiny tears'...The first 45 minutes were tolerable, but after 90 I'd lost the will to live

Dull, dull, dull...Time to ask for a refund...
    Cheers, Will

I'm ChrisB.

Regression time for me last night - I went to see Alice Cooper.
    The first time I saw him was in 1981 - this was my third. As before, it was an absolutely brilliant piece of musical theatre. Cheesy in the extreme - but that's kind of the point! It's the old songs that I'm interested in - I discovered Alice Cooper when I was very young! Plenty of the old stuff on offer, played by a really tight band, including Steve Hunter who with, Dick Wagner, produced that particular guitar sound that's on the Billion Dollar Babies and Welcome to my Nightmare albums for example, as well as Berlin & Rock & Roll Animal by Lou Reed.

Also playing guitar was Australian Orianthi Panagaris, who I've never heard of, but apparently played for Michael Jackson. Frank Zappa originally signed the Alice Cooper band to his Straight label - their first record deal & later he also gave Steve Vai help and support early on in his career, so it was a nice twist to discover that her first ever live performance was at the age of 15(!) for Steve Vai.
    Here they are playing together more recently than that (please excuse the ropey advert at the begining of the video):

Support band was the New York Dolls, to whom I'm rather partial, so all in all it was a great night out for myself and Madame Wazoo.

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Alice Cooper
    Nice, I nearly went to the Birmingham one, but I was a bit low on cash and I saw him on his last tour...

Anyway, At the weekend I went to see Pop Will Eat Itself at Birmingham academy 2....

The band were great, played a good mix of old and new, and were great fun. I bought the new album there, it's pretty damn good.

However, the venue was NOT. They started the gig early, so we missed a fair chunk of the start of the show. It was also ridiculously oversold, which made it almost unbearable. Me and a friend were wearing hooded sweatshirts, and found it difficult to take them off because people were packed in that tight, and that was at the back. It was also unbearable hot, and probably contravened any number of safety regulations. We couldn't get to the bar, the toilet, the merch stand or the exit until the very end.

Why they didn't put it in academy 1 I have no idea..... there was nothing else on there. Oh well, I'm probably coming across as a grumpy git, but it did pretty much spoil the night, and it isn't the first time this has happened at this venue.

I'm Nobody.

The wife is going to see Beverly Craven Wedensday at Buxton Pavilion Arts Centre

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    The wife is going to see Beverly Craven Wedensday at Buxton Pavilion Arts Centre
    So annoying - she was at Bury St Edmunds a couple of weeks ago! Still, Braintree in March is an option...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Steven Wilson - Shepherd's Bush Empire

Well I'm a little shell shocked right now, as this was a stonking night to be sure. As ever Steven pulled off a very professional show, touting his new album 'Grace for Drowning'. I have to admit, I thought I was at a King Crimson gig and they had just released a new album - I even reckon tonight's show may have appealed to André. All that re-mixing of KC albums with Robert Fripp has rubbed off it seems - I was in heaven for sure.

And the audience was a right who's who too. I had 'H' (Steve Hogarth) from Marillion sat right in front of me, with other celebs also in the front row of the balcony. The boy Wilson seems to be popular with other musicians of a certain age i.e. older than me!

All in all a stunning night, which was his first 'solo' show in London, if you can call it solo, as he had a full band who were also exceptional, especially the bass player, whose name I forget

EDIT: The bass player was Nick Beggs, ex Kajagoogoo and more recently work with Steve Hackett and also folk/prog band Iona. He's darned good.
    Last edited by Tim; 01-11-2011 at 13:59.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast