+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Gig You Went To...

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

The Civil Wars - Union Chapel
    Tues 27.09.11

Fantastic show in a beautiful venue and I was sat in row two behind Adele! That girl is getting as large as Alison Moyet used to be
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

MartinT Guest

Alison Moyet had the lungs to go with it

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

That she did Martin

This was one of the best gigs this year and taking The Wall out, probably my number one - a truly magical evening. These guys are IMO a bit special with a great story about how they formed. There are on Jools Holland tomorrow (Tuesday 4th Oct) and worth checking out - may not be everyone's cuppa, but worth a knowledge check at least, as they are on the rise
    Some of the most wonderful vocal harmonies I have heard in sometime.

I had quite a lot of banter with them during the show too, which was a hoot - great sense of humour and right there when it comes to English wit and repartee.
    I'm a big fan along with Adele
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Will.

Spiritualized @ Leamington Assembly

This is the second time I've seen Spiritualized at this venue, both times it's been used as a warm up gig (there's some vague connection with the venue owner), last time for the 'Songs in A&E' tour, this time for their 'Royal Albert Hall' gig which I think is tonight...get yourself down if you're in the London area

For the first half of the gig we were treated to their forthcoming album in it's entirety (apparently to be released early next year), the band have been bolstered by an additional guitarist, and the result is an even bigger wall of sound...more reminiscent of their 'ladies & gentlemen...' period.

I was close enough to the front to appreciate why Jason Pierce has taken to sitting throughout the gig (in his usual stage right position), his legs look like pipe cleaners. Presumably as a result of years of ill health, or drug abuse, or more likely a combination of the two.

The second section was a scorching trip through the highlights of their back catalogue, including a Spacemen 3 cover, which was nice.

Here's the set list from their gig in Edinburgh the previous evening (the same set)...

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/spirit...d-3d069a7.html

This was probably the best I've seen them since the late nineties, well worth catching the tour if you can, well their one date at the RAH anyway
    Cheers, Will

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by DanJennings View Post
    WOW.... I've heard of them, but actually not heard them before...

That certainly blasted out the cobwebs, great stuff.... can you recommend an album?
    Sorry Dan, missed this!

Anomalies is fab. Utterly scary opening track. Highly recommended!

Will... Spiritualized are a great live band. I once had a completely trancendental moment with Spiritualized at Bristol's Colston Hall. Almost floated out of my seat during Electric Mainline!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

That must've been some bad-ass shit you were on, dude!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dan.

I saw the Specials last night at Wolverhampton Civic...

it was the most fun I've had in ages. And you could buy a recording of the concert on CD when you left the venue. Don't mind if I do!

I had a quick listen, the sound quality is surprisingly good.

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That must've been some bad-ass shit you were on, dude!

Marco.
    Lol! You'd have thought! I think I was stone cold sober at the time!!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Lol! You'd have thought! I think I was stone cold sober at the time!!
    It's quite easy to be sober & yet totally off of your box Nick

Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Steve.

A guy named Johnny Diesel in the Norwood Hotel in Adelaide a couple of weeks ago.
    Audience of about 250, excellent music well played.
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast