+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast

Thread: Last Gig You Went To...

I'm Jim.

Well I'm not going to see Föllakzoid in Leicester tonight, cancelled for reasons we all know about.
    The email I inevitably received telling me about the cancellation also unfortunately said it hadn't been rearranged for a later date.

I'm guy.

Wilko Johnson at the Apex (Bury St Edmunds) last night.

First concert since this bloody Covid emerged.
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Wilko Johnson at the Apex (Bury St Edmunds) last night.

First concert since this bloody Covid emerged.
    How was it? His recovery from 'inoperable' pancreatic cancer is remarkable.
    Barry

I'm guy.

"In 2014, Wilko was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and was told he had a year to live. One year later, a photographer friend Charlie Chan (who just happened to be a doctor) commented that he looked too well and was still doing his routine and fast-paced musical performance, that something was perhaps not right about this diagnosis. To cut a long story short, he was retested and re-diagnosed with a Neuroendocrine Cancer with a primary in the pancreas. However, it was a large tumour (7 lbs 8oz in weight and the size of a melon)"

https://ronnyallan.net/2015/12/01/th...wilko-johnson/

Bloody lucky

Wilko, Norman Watt Roy and drummer - Dylan Howe, I think, were all excellent. Just wonderful being out and listening to live music.
    Wilko looked very good, very skinny but he has always been on the slender side and given the amount of tissue removed during operation hardly surprising.

Possibly bass was a little over emphasised by the desk? But beautiful seeing Norman getting in the groove.

Only thing that would improve the band, in my view, would be the addition of a harmonica player (and better singer, as it's not Wilko's strongest point ), but then I was hearing "Feelgood" material and thinking of the originals with the wonderful Lee Brilleaux.

Support from John Otway was amusing, but a bit shit - although I suppose that's how its meant to be

EDIT: Also I love the Apex, very civilised small venue, plenty of cheap parking nearby, and an easy forty minute drive from where I live.
    Last edited by guy; 12-02-2022 at 18:25. Reason: additional thought
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Grant.

wilko, wasnt he with feelgood back in the day?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    wilko, wasnt he with feelgood back in the day?
    Yes indeed, Wilko was an original band member and writer of classic "back in the night" - which I was very pleased to hear last night
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Yes indeed, Wilko was an original band member and writer of classic "back in the night" - which I was very pleased to hear last night
    Me and Mrs. P saw Wilko a few years ago at some one-day outdoor festival near Doncaster, and he was great As you say, not much of a vocalist, but loved his choppy playing style, and he was very entertaining. Did "Roxette", which is my favourite.

One of the support bands was Mickey Finn's T. Rex. Which was odd as Mickey had died years ago.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Jerry.

Saw Van Morrison on Monday night at Liverpool Philharmonic. He was his usual miserable self not even saying hello but he sang for a full hour and a half before leaving the group still playing for another twenty minutes. They were really good musicians, Van himself is a great sax player.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by JimK View Post
    Well I'm not going to see Föllakzoid in Leicester tonight, cancelled for reasons we all know about.
    The email I inevitably received telling me about the cancellation also unfortunately said it hadn't been rearranged for a later date.
    Forgot I posted this, actually got to see them in Bristol a couple of weeks ago, and rather good it was too.

I'm Geoff.

Not the last gig, but the last time I was in Washington DC. In the space of about one week I saw Shaun Colvin, Al Stewart, and Joan Armatrading at the Birchmere Theatre!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast