+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253

Thread: Last Gig You Went To...

I'm James.

Off to see Agnes Obel at Symphony Hall Brum Monday. This gig was scheduled for September 2019 and only now taking place September 2022.

3 year delay.......
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Steve.

Steve Hackett, tonight. 50th aniv of Genesis's Foxtrot.
    Add water... Makes It's own sauce! + Don't Do Rap.. Don't do Urrban.. Don't do Modern R&B and Don't Do Radio 1 cos it's all fecking SHITE

I'm James.

Agnes Obel at Symphony Hall gave us about 15 tracks which were taken from all four of of her albums. She had an impressive all female group accompanying her with 2 Cellists and a percussionist.

I felt she was at her best when she was playing her old battered piano on her own, then you heard the original stripped back versions of her songs played beautifully and with great charm. However the amplification of the others in the group changed the feel of her music making it more aggressive, darker and powerful which I am sure was liked by many. My only issue was with the kick bass which was treated a bit too heavy by the mixing desk and could swamp the sound a little.

Great evening and fantastic to hear some of her best compositions played live at last after waiting 3 years for the gig to be re scheduled due to Covid.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Agnes Obel at Symphony Hall gave us about 15 tracks which were taken from all four of of her albums. She had an impressive all female group accompanying her with 2 Cellists and a percussionist.

I felt she was at her best when she was playing her old battered piano on her own, then you heard the original stripped back versions of her songs played beautifully and with great charm. However the amplification of the others in the group changed the feel of her music making it more aggressive, darker and powerful which I am sure was liked by many. My only issue was with the kick bass which was treated a bit too heavy by the mixing desk and could swamp the sound a little.

Great evening and fantastic to hear some of her best compositions played live at last after waiting 3 years for the gig to be re scheduled due to Covid.
    Hey Jim
    Was there too!
    Agree with you on all.
    Terrific evening only marred by the fact we had to dash early for our train.
    Don’t think we could have been sat any higher up (my mistake) too.
    Mind you, odd looking down from on high with the music fired at you horizontally.
    Now my wife is a convert. Think she liked the powerful essence thing.

I'm James.

Hi Steve, I had another mate sitting up where you were and he really enjoyed it.
    Great night and great lady.

I'm Christopher.

The Good Lady and I went to see Agnes Obel at Cambridge Corn Exchange yesterday evening.
    After the delays with the tour already mentioned it was worth the long wait to finally see her.

I enjoyed the live versions of her songs and felt the cellists and percussionist brought a slightly different dimension to the live sound versus the studio recordings.

At times it felt like I was listening to 'The Agnes Obel Quartet' but for me this was not a bad thing and overall a very satisfactory experience.

Thought the support 'Merope' were rather good too and worth further investigation so I picked up their album 'Salos' on vinyl during the interval and had it signed by Indrė.

Can't actually remember the last concert I went to as for various reasons it had been a good few years, so rather pleased with the evening..
    Best Wishes
    Christopher D
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main System: Vinyl - Technics SL1200 Mk1, Technics Mk2 Headshell , Audio Technica AT_VM95C, Cambridge Audio Azur 551P Phono Stage: CD - Marantz CD 6005: Amp - Cambridge Audio Azur 351A: Speakers - B&W DM600
    Second System (WIP) : CD - NAD C 521i : Cassette - Technics RS-BX404: Amp - Technics SU-V470 PXS : Speakers - Wharfdale Laser 60
    Streaming: Audio Interface - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6: Active Monitors - Adam Audio T5V

+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253