+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: Angle Audio phono stage

I'm Keith.

Default Review: Angle Audio phono stage

This phono stage has recently replaced a Cambridge Audio 540p in my modest system (see kit list in my signature for details). Having now lived with it for several days, I thought I'd share my opinions here.

These phono stages are made in Suffolk and sold on eBay by Angle Audio (eBay username: “949person”). Several standard options are available and, as each unit is made individually, tailoring input sensitivity, gain and loading to your specific cartridge during manufacture may be possible. Delivery was quick - I ordered mine on a Sunday afternoon and it was delivered on Thursday.

My phono stage is the “Audiophile Phono Preamp with 'virtual battery'” moving magnet version (1.25mV to 5mV input sensitvity, 47KOhm loading) which currently sells for £145 including signed-for delivery in the UK. A moving coil version (0.15mV to 0.5mV, 470Ohm) is also available at the same price. Other options include a version without the 'virtual battery' (for £25 less) or with switchable MM and MC inputs (£25 more).

The unit appears to be well constructed in a sturdy metal case. Rear panel connections are as expected – a pair of phono sockets for the input and a pair for connection to your amplifier. A substantial earth terminal and a DC power socket complete the picture. The front panel has a single toggle switch and pair of LEDs. A large and heavy 15v plug-top mains power supply is provided – so large that I needed to shave a couple of millimetres of plastic off the side of my turntable mains plug to allow them to fit into adjacent mains sockets.

Operation is straight-forward. With the toggle switch in the “up” position, the phono stage is “off” (left-hand LED not illuminated) and the internal battery is set to either “fast charge” (indicated by the right-hand (green) LED flashing), or “trickle charge” (right-hand LED steady green) depending upon the charge currently held by the battery. Flicking the switch “down” turns on the unit (left-hand LED glows red) and the battery goes to “trickle charge” mode. I could detect no hum or other unwanted noise from the speakers nor from the unit or its power supply when switched on.

First LP spun was Everything But The Girl's “Walking Wounded” . This album has lots of very low, tight bass and it was evident from the fist few notes that this bass sounded deeper and more tuneful than via the Cambridge Audio stage. This bass quality and extension was also very evident on the next record – a live version of Kraftwerk's “Radioactivity” (Promo-only 12” single) which sounded fantastic.

Next up was the Cowboy Junkies “The Trinity Session”. Soundstage width and depth here were excellent and the treble sounded clean and extended without any signs of harshness nor undue emphasis of sibilance (the track “Sweet Jane” I have found to be a good test of this). Good resolution of detail was in evidence - the noises from the heater in the church were very clearly audible.

Listening continued throughout the day with a bunch of LPs all recorded in 1972 – Bowie's “Ziggy Stardust”, Jethro Tull's “Thick as a Brick”, ELP's “Trilogy” and Steely Dan's “Can't Buy A Thrill”. Each one had my toes tapping and I found it hard to listen critically as I was enjoying the music too much – always a good sign!

One operational quirk should be mentioned here. Although the battery is held in “trickle charge” mode when the unit is switched on, it is still possible to flatten the battery after about 6 hours continuous play. If this happens, the only option is to switch the phono stage off to allow the battery to fast charge. This is something I can live with, but I could see this being a consideration for some people.

So in conclusion, I find this phono stage to be a vast improvement on the Cambridge Audio one with an excellent, well-balanced sound throughout and is great value for £145.
    Last edited by keiths; 18-09-2011 at 15:56. Reason: Added photo
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm ILOB.

Cheers Keith
    I am tempted to go down this route latter on as like the idea of battery operated phono stages
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Simon.

I purchased one of these recently too. Previously, I was just using the internal phono stage on my Marantz PM7001, but this sounds better already. Still need to do more listening though, but so far a big thumbs up from me.

I'm Keith.

Hi Simon,

Yes, I'm very happy with mine.

Welcome to AoS, by the way

Before any of the mods catch up with you, maybe you could pop over to the "Welcome" area of the forums and tell us a bit about yourself, your system and your musical taste? This is a requirement for all members here.

Cheers,
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Paul.

Thanks for the review Keith. However it would be more usefull if comparison could be made with much more expensive phono stages as I suspect something direct from manufacturer on ebay for £145 ought to be equal to a product up to £500 sold through the traditional routes. Bespoke casework, advertising, distributor mark up, dealer mark up and VAT being adding to the cost. No surprise that it beats a Cambridge easily if competently designed.

I'm Keith.

Oh I agree entirely - it's probably more than the rest of my stuff justifies to be honest, but there didn't seem to be much point me upgrading the CA 540P to (say a 640P) when for another £50 I could get something that should be good enough to stay when I upgrade my turntable etc.
    Keith

Gallery

I'm gone.

I have had one of these for 6 months or so, I give it an occasional plug on the AoS threads! Take a look at my siggie, below.

I started off at the bargain end of the range, and was so pleased with the sound I had to try the top model. It didn't disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    Thanks for the review Keith. However it would be more usefull if comparison could be made with much more expensive phono stages as I suspect something direct from manufacturer on ebay for £145 ought to be equal to a product up to £500 sold through the traditional routes.
    Absolutely!
    And I am happy to oblige ...

I have directly compared it to a Slee Amp2 - it easily beat it.
    Ditto for a £250 Edwards Audio 'stage.
    Also a Trichord Dino with standard PSU. Once again, no contest. I am sure though, that a Dino with a NC PSU would come out on top, but then that is a giant killer and would beat most 'stages in my experience.
    A MF XLPSv2/PSUv3 and a Heed Questar have also graced my system in the fairly recent past, and I can confidently say that I prefer the Angle Audio.

It gets a top recommendation from me. At £150 or so it's a genuine steal.

Take a look at the eBay listing here ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1305727836...84.m1438.l2649
    That listing is for the mains powered version at somewhat lower cost, but details of others in the range are also mentioned.

I'm Michael.

I just got one of these Angle Audio phono stages and am quite impressed so far, it is to go into the system in place of a Trichord Dino (with Dino+PSU and High Performance Power Cable) so has a lot to live up to.

So far I have found the mid-range and bass to be comparable to the Dino and certainly lively without doubt. The top end detail is nowhere near as open and somewhat restrained, will be interesting to see with a bit more playing whether that will sort itself out.

One gripe, and it will hopefully not be major, the transformer that came with it buzzes like a hive full of bees. I have informed the seller, will be interesting to see if it can be resolved quickly and easily.

Test records played so far are: Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Pink Floyd Dark Side, Martha & the Muffins -Metro Music, Bjork - Vespertine and New Order - Blue Monday 12".
    All sounded good apart from the Miles Davis, a bit flat.

Will probably write a more comprehensive review at some point in the future but at the moment I would say the Dino is still well ahead overall.

I'm ILOB.

Did you get the battery version
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by legalhippy View Post
    at the moment I would say the Dino is still well ahead overall.
    That's informative to hear, and puts the Angle into some kind of sonic perspective. I once owned a Dino of the same spec as yours (but with the std power cable) so I know it well; it was an enjoyable phono amp and obviously very versatile. I did find that the phonostage in my Exposure Super XV to be superior though, hence the Dino got sold on.

Will be very keen to read of your on-going experiences with the Angle, and to hear if its sonics open up for you.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast