+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TC-7240 RCA/PHONO switcher

I'm Gary.

Nice design Stan, the front panel reminds me of a mini Densen Beat amp.

Nice look for your nextgen Dac.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

No idea on price, but it won't be more than £99.99 inc VAT and delivery. Like the TC-7220, the TC-7240 are hand built for quality purposes and silver solder used. The price of that solder has risen a lot lately.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I'd be more tempted to call it a universal switcher Stan

I remember that before i owned this ARC MP1 i switched between a Classe DR5 pre amp & a Harmon Kardon AVR5500 (using the front channel pre outs) to my power amps. There is no reason it couldn't be used for the very same purpose, & i'd have been much happier using a nice shielded metal case jobby with quality connectors than what i was forced to use

Things like this are not really available in any guise of quality, good luck to you - you shouldn't imo just call it a phono switcher though... Don't categorise it, it can switch between just about anything at the end of the day
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Would be great for all those T-Amp enthusiasts out there who only get one measly input... Good luck with it, Stan.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Lucky.

Hi Stan,
    Forgive me if this is a daft idea, but couldn't you add a volume control and make a brill Beresford passive pre amp?
    The Man with the suit and the pace. Knee deep in the dead.

I could add a volume control, but then it wouldn't be what it is supposed to be . The main problem is that high quality volume control pots don't come cheap. So before you know it the whole thing becomes a lot more expensive, and specialized due to the higher prize and functionality.

I'm Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I could add a volume control, but then it wouldn't be what it is supposed to be . The main problem is that high quality volume control pots don't come cheap. So before you know it the whole thing becomes a lot more expensive, and specialized due to the higher prize and functionality.
    Hi Stan,
    You might be interested in this: -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-Japan-...item336bef305b

My builder, who knows his stuff, has used one on a build for me. He thinks they are genuine and has promptly bought 5 himself after seeing mine. I have a spare if you would like me to send it on to you for a look.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I agree about the cost of decent volume pots/attenuators, especially if you need a high value one. The DACT attenuators are about the best value I've seen so far and a stereo wired 500K one is still around a ton...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Julian.

Stan, couldn't you make 2 versions; one as described and another, to special order, with a potentiometer at a higher price? Just a thought and then you could please everybody!
    Julian.

I'm Dave.

A low value pot of around 10K would be required otherwise the output impedance will be way too high. Even 10K is high from that point of view but a lower value pot won't attenuate enough.

A passive attenuator version might be a good idea though as a lot of people use passive attenuation these days. You would just need to provide details (on your website) of how prospective customers can check if their system is compatible with a passive attenuator. That way you should avoid the situation where people are disappointed with the results due to them having impedance mismatch issued.

Then perhaps later you could develop a budget buffer stage similar to the Pass B1. I think there's a gap in the market for a well made, no frills, British engineered but competitively priced buffer. Most of the cheap ones are nasty Chinese things.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast