+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Turntable suggestions please!

I'm andrew.

Origin Live. Check out their website, and while you're there, read what they have to say about phono stages.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    Origin Live. Check out their website, and while you're there, read what they have to say about phono stages.
    Hmm, they're only saying what many of us have said already, that the phono stage contributes hugely to the end result. They also denigrate "budget integrated circuits" but show on the same page the Graham Slee phono amps which use op-amps (which sound fine, but nowhere near as good as the Whest). The thing is, you cannot give rules like "no op-amps" because some preamps use them and sound superb. You just have to borrow and listen to a few with your real-world cartridge, (step-up) and preamp.

I'm Richard.

I am very pleased with my new Inspire Apollo deck. (see sig ).

See: http://www.inspirehifi.co.uk/inspire...2products.html

More expensive versions are available. The Rega arm is a unipivot.

BW

Richard
    My Gear:
    Source component/s:
    Cambridge CXC Cd player; Inspire Apollo deck + Roksan Nima arm + Ortofon 2M Black; Denon TU-580RD tuner; Logitech Squeezebox Touch. Rpi with Volumio. RME DAC.

Amplification: WD KEL84+ valve amp; Rega Brio, Quad 306 (DADA modded, - in reserve)). Trichord Dino2 & Dino+ PS;

Wiim mini, Wiim Pro, Wiim ProPlus streamers

Loudspeakers:
    Living Voice Auditorium IBX-R2.
    Q Acoustics 2010 in the 'study'.

Cables/stands: Chords; Van Dammes 4mm

Any other hi-fi bits:
    Apple MacMini Pro; Senn HD598, 467,
    Linear PSs for Rpi and DAC. Pure mains conditioning.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I dunno, "those that know" are going back to Stantons, Goldrings and vintage Shures of all descriptions, some with decent SAS tips on, and you lot are talking thousand pound bits of jewellery and multi thousand tank-like platforms to mount them on

Now, where's my Garrard AT6?..........
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    tank-like platforms to mount them on
    Best description of a good arm I've seen today

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Yours is more like a bloody oil rig!
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

MartinT Guest

I'm Simon.

As a SME 10 owner, and previous Kuzma stabi/s owner I'm a big fan of small and massy decks. The Kuzma was a touch more 'lyrical' if that makes sense. The SME is more evenly balanced and with better speed control. I could be tempted back to the Kuzma if there was a 12" goin 2nd hand, but I'd need to sort out the poor AC controller.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by doodoos View Post
    Although my system is CD based I do have a Rega 3 which was repaired 6 years ago and has had about 10 hours use since then.
    However, I've kept my old vinyl in the loft and recently had a session. BUGGER ME I forgot how good vinyl can sound. I've got the bug!!. But, whilst it's very dynamic with tight bass the sound would eventually be tiring - it's bright, a bit thin in the mid, gets congested and emphasises pre echo nicely.
    What to do?
    I know Regas can be modded but I'm looking for a fit and forget T/T that's more up to the rest of my kit. Doubt if I'll be buying new vinyl but want to get the best of what I've got which includes some Sheffield Labs direct cuts from my younger days.
    I'm well out of touch with vinyl but I need to retain the dynamic, tight bass character of the Rega/RB300/ Corus blue that I'm using whilst building on it.
    This is a jungle so need some help.
    My online plodding so far has come up with say, Michell Orbe, SME 10. That sort of thing.
    Any suggestions chaps. Nothing flashy and a small footprint would be best.
    Not much space you see.
    If you want top notch sound and a total lack of tinkering and total reliability, I would suggest a Nottingham Analogue. The best yor budget will allow.

I'm stu.

Pioneer pl 71.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast