+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Budget Phono Stage

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by robertoclarkos View Post
    its says its a mc cartridge but should be played through a mm . why call it a mc cartridge ? i connected it to the pp2 it just sounded louder at lower volumes , i take it it starts to distort or something? sorry for all the questions just new to all this. cheers shaun
    Moving magnet & moving coil are two different engineering techniques and don't necessarily refer to the output. Motor assemblies have coils and magnets and to create an electrical output one must move in relation to the other. In a moving coil, the magnet stays still. In a moving magnet - guess what? - the magnet moves!
    If a moving coil has a large number of turns of wire, the output will be higher and then may not need the extra amplification that an MC stage will give, so it suits an MM stage.

I'm shaun.

Default mc

so it just depends on what i prefer and won't break anything?

I'm ILOB.

Jerry has raved about this phono stage (he usually has a good ear and people often have similar taste) and I notice Keith has ordered one with a report to follow. With the battery powered option this might be very nice indeed
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audiophile...item1e66be9021
    If it was my money I see what Keith thinks of this and then decide
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Now, what can I recommend that isn't sold by my dealer mates or friends with used ones for sale (sort-of private joke)????????????????????

I'm sure the A.N.T ones are superbly conceived and built, if expensive. Angle Audio (on eBay) have what appears to be a well designed phono stage with several options/tweaks according to budget - oh, sorry, they're based in my town of residence, so I suppose I shouldn't recommend them, although I don't know them from Adam

... I remember the old Trichord? Dino with affection.

Yep, I dare say there are very many good ones out there. Good luck with your final choice...
    Shill, shill, shill! We just can't stop you shilling can we Dave?
    You are even shilling for people you don't know now. Frankly I'm
    Shocked!
    The Man with the suit and the pace. Knee deep in the dead.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

That rock's uncomfortable to sit on and the hard place gave me a headache.....

Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Jerry has raved about this phono stage (he usually has a good ear and people often have similar taste) and I notice Keith has ordered one with a report to follow. With the battery powered option this might be very nice indeed
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audiophile...item1e66be9021
    If it was my money I see what Keith thinks of this and then decide
    Oooh - thanks for the heads-up on that one John, you know I think I may be tempted to give this little puppy a try.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Deleted.

Now, what can I recommend that isn't sold by my dealer mates or friends with used ones for sale (sort-of private joke)????????????????????
    The above didn't make any sense to me Dave, but a chat last night with a friend has revealed all - I honestly don't know why you bother.
    Account Deleted

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Bother posting here, or reading about myself in negative, incorrect and totally unjustified posts elsewhere by someone who's been banned from all the "clubs," so wants to spoil others' fun by peeing on their parade??? I really wish I had the kind of "influence" I'm accused of having
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Shill, shill, shill! We just can't stop you shilling can we Dave?
    You are even shilling for people you don't know now. Frankly I'm
    Shocked!
    Better a shill than not a full shilling
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Deleted.

Bother posting here, or reading about myself in negative, incorrect and totally unjustified posts elsewhere by someone who's been banned from all the "clubs," so wants to spoil others' fun by peeing on their parade??? I really wish I had the kind of "influence" I'm accused of having
    The later (certainly I didn't mean about posting here) - welcome to the evil cabal

To be honest Dave, if you go wandering around the secure wards, it's not entirely surprising that 'weird' stuff happens....
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast