+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Budget Phono Stage

I'm shaun.

Default A Budget Phono Stage

Hi, I have a nad pp2 phono stage and looking to upgrade it to something better. has anyone got and idea on a cheap good quality one? cheers

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Now, what can I recommend that isn't sold by my dealer mates or friends with used ones for sale (sort-of private joke)????????????????????

I'm sure the A.N.T ones are superbly conceived and built, if expensive. Angle Audio (on eBay) have what appears to be a well designed phono stage with several options/tweaks according to budget - oh, sorry, they're based in my town of residence, so I suppose I shouldn't recommend them, although I don't know them from Adam

... I remember the old Trichord? Dino with affection.

Yep, I dare say there are very many good ones out there. Good luck with your final choice...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm ChrisB.

Shaun,
    Maybe you should have a little chat with Alex:
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13214

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Shaun,
    Maybe you should have a little chat with Alex:
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13214
    Oh yes indeedy - Oh sorry, he's a mate of mine
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by robertoclarkos View Post
    Hi, I have a nad pp2 phono stage and looking to upgrade it to something better. has anyone got and idea on a cheap good quality one? cheers
    The Cambridge Audio MM/MC 640P (Phono Pre-ampliifier) is worth investigating. It has switchable MC to MM and is a nice well made box of goodies for the price. I use one, in conjunction with a headphone amp and 'phones when I'm tuning and I'm doing my cartridge set up and tune up for both my decks (no I'm not a DJ, too bloody old ). They show up on Ebay from time to time and I believe that if you're good at circuit tweakery and the waving of a soldering iron you can take these to new heights. Mines a keeper although not used in my systems, its great for headphone listening.

Good luck with your search,

Ron

Cheap, good qaulity, better than the PP2? My own one, the TC-760LC, is in the same league as the PP2. So that excludes mine. The 640P is also in that league, which makes me think that you are going to have to drop one of your three requirements.

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Now, what can I recommend that isn't sold by my dealer mates or friends with used ones for sale (sort-of private joke)????????????????????

Don't, you'll upset the Muppet.
    Last edited by keiths; 11-09-2011 at 21:01.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Jostein.

I have the Hagtech Cornet, sounds great:

http://www.hagtech.com/cornet2.html

I'm shaun.

Default thanks

hi thanks for all your input. i use the denon dl 110 cartridge . its says its a mc cartridge but should be played through a mm . why call it a mc cartridge ? i connected it to the pp2 it just sounded louder at lower volumes , i take it it starts to distort or something? sorry for all the questions just new to all this. cheers shaun

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Angle Audio (on eBay) have what appears to be a well designed phono stage with several options/tweaks according to budget
    I've just ordered one of the Angle Audio ("949person") ones with the 'virtual battery' option. I'll report back once I've had a chance to listen to it properly.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast