+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Outstanding digital components

I've heard well implemented RBCD comprehensively outperform poorly implemented SACD. I know logic tells me that hi-res should always be better, but RBCD already provides us with a very decent uncompressed format that when properly implemented can still work musical wonders.

Default Oracle CD1500

I don't get to listen to lots of different gear, but did get an outstanding demo of an Oracle cd1500. It was the most effortless, detailed playback I've experienced. I will someday gravitate to owning one or something of it's calibre.

I'm OneOfTheSevenModsWhoToldMarcoNotToLiftHarry'sBan.

Similar to this one,K?

ATB

David

I'm OneOfTheSevenModsWhoToldMarcoNotToLiftHarry'sBan.

Sorry,meant to add,the above is just the transport.
    ATB

David

Talking

Yes that is the one. Lovely piece of gear and it sounds even better than it looks!

I'm InSpace.

*Note* - Series of irrelevant drivel posts (largely by clearly bored admin/mod) deleted in the interest of clarity.

Not moved to a different thread as it would make absolutely no sense whatsoever!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Nick.

There are two digital components which I would have to recommend:

Cowon iAudio M5L / X5 - Portable Music Player

This has a battery life of 35 hours, and a capacity of 20Gb. It's considered by many to have the best D/A of any portable, and it handles a good range of formats including OGG, FLAC, MP3, WAV etc. I have the open firmware Rockbox running on it and that turns a good player into a fantastic player. Rockbox supports virtually all non-DRM formats including Shorten, FLAC, AAC, OGG, WAV, MP3 and does this with a highly skinnable and customisable interface, and true-gapless playback. I know that the iPod does that now, but with SHN and FLAC? You can actually run Rockbox on an iPod, and it works really well, but the battery life of the Cowon and the fidelity make it the best hardware for their firmware in my opinion.

I have the monochrome display M5L, there's also the X5 which does video and colour display, but for me pure music playback is what I'm after, and I'm happy with the basic model. Can be picked up for around £100, but seems available only on eBay in the UK.

Tascam HD-P2 - Compact Flash Recorder
    http://www.solidstatesound.co.uk/Tascam%20HD-P2.htm

I got this as an upgrade from my DA-20MkII DAT recorder, because I wanted 24 bit recording and the convenience of solid state CF recording when moving stuff to my computer for editing. I collect a lot of live audio recordings, and transfer a lot of stuff from tape and reel to digital, for archiving. I decided it was safer to record to a dedicated machine than get a high-end soundcard and then have to worry about other stuff running and competing for CPU cycles on my Mac. The HD-P2 is portable, though it's a lot bigger than things like the Zoom H4 and Edirol that do a similar job, but it's aimed at the professional field recorder and this portability was attractive to me because I don't have much space and I often travel to friends places to record their tapes when it's not possible to borrow them for any period of time... being larger it also has a fantastic clear display that's easily readable from feet away. The HD-P2 does 16 bit and 24 bit recording, with sample rates from 44.1 up to 192khz, supports timecode yada yada yada.

Compared with DAT CF recording is a breeze. Re-take as often as you like, without wearing the tape out. Zero risk of digi-noise which was the bane of DAT even when using new tape and with clean heads. And fast to transfer to the desktop for onward editing.

Just my two-penneth!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Beechwoods; 23-07-2008 at 09:58.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Good two penneths Beechy.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Neil.

Default Most intresting Digital Source.

Hi Guys

I would like to suggest the AMR CD77.

I know its retro(using valves and a Philips TDA 1541 Dac module). But IMHO I think it offers a lot. Its not the most attractive CDP about but sound quality is for the money amazing. there is a quality and focus to the mid range that even my Moon Andromeda can't beat. Is the bass a bit soft,not in my system. The treble is very natural (not etched or to forward). It has been described as a Zanden for the many 6 Moons (I have never heard a Zanden,other than at shows), but if the AMR is any way like A Zanden I would love to hear one at home. Can't afford one of course and even if I could I don't think I could justify the cost.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 29-12-2008 at 09:05.

MartinT Guest

My Ayre C-5xe is quite simply the best CD/SACD/DVD-A disc spinner I've heard. It has outstanding sound and does its job quietly and efficiently.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast