+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Outstanding digital components

I'm Ian.

Must add my +++ to Topping.
    Bought a D50 last year and its given me excellent performance. £170 at the time. Its replaced a benchmark DAC1 in my 2nd system
    It does benefit from an external power supply but Topping now provide one. Just ordered a D10 USB dac for use in my workshop, should be here in a week or so.( £64)
    Sound for your pound, Topping gear is +++ but prices are rising
    Pity we weren't talking about a British company
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I can't write this without superlatives.

I decided to bite the bullet and ordered the new top of the range Topping dac. It arrived this morning and has blown me away.
    If you are thinking of spending up to £3k on a dac, don't. Spend £600 on this beauty and fritter the rest on wine and women.

The performance is frankly stunning, so far I have tried it on Coax, USB and BlueTooth and they are all superb.
    It's difficult to describe just how good this sounds, solidity, detail, clarity. Everything sound 'kin amazing.

If it wasn't for the lock-down I'd invite you all round to take a listen.
    Kid in a sweet shop Alan, sounds awesome. Keep us updated I've been umming between this, denafrips/line magnetic/mytek as a potential last ever DAC. Doubt it will be soon though as I'm just trying out using an ssd connected internally to my streamer (it has a hard drive I never used due to hd noise) replacing an Ethernet connected NAS hd.

Like your new dac results are not subtle.

Although sounds like you've jumped a bit further than me!

Great stuff.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Jerry.

I can't write this without superlatives.

I decided to bite the bullet and ordered the new top of the range Topping dac. It arrived this morning and has blown me away.
    If you are thinking of spending up to £3k on a dac, don't. Spend £600 on this beauty and fritter the rest on wine and women.

The performance is frankly stunning, so far I have tried it on Coax, USB and BlueTooth and they are all superb.
    It's difficult to describe just how good this sounds, solidity, detail, clarity. Everything sound 'kin amazing.

If it wasn't for the lock-down I'd invite you all round to take a listen.
    Have you opened it up yet Alan? Whats the internal power supply like?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Ken.

Yes sorry Ken, I put D90 in the title line, probably doesn't show on Tapatalk?
    My D90 arrived a couple of days ago.
    Have to agree, superb product, bags of detail, yet very natural sounding in my set up.
    I'm using USB from Laptop at present.

I'm in the process of putting a Pi4 music Server/Streamer together. I Have Hat boards from Allo (Kalli)/Audio GD to give i2s (HDMI) output and AES/EBU output from a TeraDak board. I will compare these with the USB output from the Pi4 and build the server using the method that performs best with the D90.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Have you opened it up yet Alan? Whats the internal power supply like?

I'm Jerry.

Thanks Ken,
    Looks good inside, all high quality components. The clocks are expensive.
    Tempted.....
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Ken.

It's a nicely finished product.
    Even the packaging has a presentation case feel to it.
    ASR forum measured its performance and were very impressed with the results.
    It has a volume control (can be bypassed) so if you are all digital, you can feed a power amp direct, without the need for a Pre Amp.
    It's a versatile bit of kit, with its wealth of inputs you can't really go wrong.
    Got mine from Audiophonics, had to wait for stock, but they got another batch a week ago, so I dived in.

I'm John.

Default Stream Magic 6 v2

I would add the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic V2 to this list.

Mine just works. It picks up radio stations from almost anywhere and streams over my home network sounding fantastic whatever you feed it.

CA send out regular updates still which is great. Its never missed a beat and value for money is amazing considering it was under £400.

I wouldn't let it go for anything.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home built PC driving Adam Audio 7 Active Monitors from Asus Xonar Essence STX.

I'm Alastair.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    My D90 arrived a couple of days ago.
    Have to agree, superb product, bags of detail, yet very natural sounding in my set up.
    I'm using USB from Laptop at present.

I'm in the process of putting a Pi4 music Server/Streamer together. I Have Hat boards from Allo (Kalli)/Audio GD to give i2s (HDMI) output and AES/EBU output from a TeraDak board. I will compare these with the USB output from the Pi4 and build the server using the method that performs best with the D90.
    I have had a Topping D90 for 4 or 5 months now. It really is very good but I am feeding it via USB (and a reclocker and some expensive cables) from an Asus Tinkerboard, which was better than the Pi4 via USB, but I can't help thinking avoiding USB in the first place might be better. How did you get on with the I2S and AES/EBU?
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm Tony.

The best method 0f supplying the Topping D90 is AES/EBU without question, having upgraded over 30 of these units this year I can say this 100%, even stock AES 110 Ohm input is the way forward.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast