+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Ready for my KAB 1210

MartinT Guest

Default Getting Ready for my KAB 1210

So the KAB SL-1210M5GSE is on order and I'm getting everything together that I need. Options ordered are fluid damper, outboard PSU, strobe disabler, tonarm rewire with phonos and Isonoe feet.

I have now acquired an SDS Isoplatmat and a Denon DL-160 cartridge. I already have a Gram Amp 2SE with PSU1-24 upgrade power supply. Still to come is a Sumiko headshell.

I feel that I need a record clamp but am torn between a clamp style and weight style. Which would work better? Weight strikes me as being easier to use. Any recommendations? Have I missed anything else to get me started?

I'm Greg.

The consideration for record clamp must be based on what the bearing will tolerate. The weight option will be convenient but it could stress the bearing beyond what it was designed to tolerate. I don't know if there is info out there that can help you on this. The clamp option will not expose the bearing to added mass but could cause it to run in a manner not originally intended. You'll need to research this to satisfy yourself what would be best.

I'm InSpace.

There was a weight type clamp mentioned in HFW recently, I forget the exact one. However it did say that the SL1210 'struggled' with it.

I would second Greg's advice about researching the matter. Personally I might lean toward the clamp type.

Cheers...
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Martin,

So the KAB SL-1210M5GSE is on order and I'm getting everything together that I need. Options ordered are fluid damper, outboard PSU, strobe disabler, tonarm rewire with phonos and Isonoe feet.

I have now acquired an SDS Isoplatmat and a Denon DL-160 cartridge. I already have a Gram Amp 2SE with PSU1-24 upgrade power supply. Still to come is a Sumiko headshell.

I feel that I need a record clamp but am torn between a clamp style and weight style. Which would work better? Weight strikes me as being easier to use. Any recommendations? Have I missed anything else to get me started?
    Nice one. I'm sure you'll be delighted with it, so keep us posted of developments. Do bear in mind though that Kevin from KAB is a one-man band and thus his quoted delivery times can be somewhat 'optimistic'. However, he always comes through in the end and the wait is most definitely worth it

Regarding clamps, I know you've been used to having them in the past, but having tried numerous ones on the 1210 I wouldn't recommend it. On the 1210, clamps have the effect of over-dampening the sound and killing dynamics - I'm not a fan of it at all and much prefer the effect of having records 'floating freely' on the platter.

Clamps, in my experience, generally only work properly if the turntable they're being used with was originally designed with one in mind, and that's not the case with the 1210. YMMV, of course, but I'd save your money for something else or buy more records!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Do bear in mind though that Kevin from KAB is a one-man band and thus his quoted delivery times can be somewhat 'optimistic'.
    Gosh yes, you're not joking. His approach to accepting my order and sending a link for payment was very sedate, shall we say. Now he says he's awaiting parts for the PSU before completion. I am being very patient as I've done the research and this is what I want, so no worries.

Thanks everyone for the weight/clamp advice, I will tread carefully here.

I was experimenting with the Isoplatmat on my Strathclyde turntable but unfortunately I've not been able to adjust the suspension to compensate for the additional weight so no joy - it rubs against the top of the pulley. I look forward to mounting my Grado Prestige Gold cartridge in another headshell and comparing with the Denon. I predict they will sound very different!

Yep don't worry about Kevin, Martin. He'll come good in the end

What made you go for a DL-160, incidentally, rather than a DL-103? With the right headshell and brass counterweight balance in place, and a good MC phono stage, the 103 sings like a canary in the Technics arm and will seriously exceed anything the 160 (although good) is capable of in this set-up...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    What made you go for a DL-160, incidentally, rather than a DL-103?
    Quite simply, I didn't want to change too many components at once and I like the Gram Amp phono stage. It would have meant either swapping phono amp or adding a step-up transformer, both of which have S/N issues. I also like high output MCs and have previously owned an Ultimo 10X and Dynavector 20A, the latter quite superb.

Cartridge upgrades are relatively easy so I could always go low output MC in the future.

No worries, Martin - gotcha

We can always deal with that one later if you want.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I feel that I need a record clamp but am torn between a clamp style and weight style. Which would work better? Weight strikes me as being easier to use. Any recommendations?
    I'm not recommending this as such, but it could be a (relatively) cheap way of finding out if a weight is helpful: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-in-1-Record-...1%7C240%3A1318

John

MartinT Guest

Interesting - thanks. I also found this:
    http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/puck.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast