+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Touch modifications

I'm Jerry.

Default Touch modifications

After replacing the power supply to my Squeezebox Touch and trying the SBooster I am wondering if the modification route is the right way to go. I am aware of two companies in the uk that offer an upgrade service-Audiocom and Fidelity Audio.
    I would like to hear from anyone who has gone down the upgrade route and if they think the cost (about the same as the Touch itself) is worth it.
    Also if anyone has tried upgrades themselves.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm David.

there is another thread dude where you can modify the internals yourself for improvements, gazjam is your man on that one

from what I have read it works well

after that I would suggest a better dac which is what I am doing

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Aye but that's software mods. Jerry's talking about hardware mods.

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Aye but that's software mods. Jerry's talking about hardware mods.
    Exactamundo.

Ali, haven't you or Leo played about with clocks for the Touch?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I haven't done anything on the hardware side yet Jerry, Leo may have. I'm concentrating on a valve output dac that Nick has built for me at the moment. It sounds fantastic but has a couple of niggles that need sorting. I'll put a post up about it when I get it sorted properly. It's really raised the game in the SQ stakes from the Touch though.

I'm Lucky.

Better DAC every time. The Audionote DACs are excellent. Have you considered calling Audio Synthesis and seeing if they have any used DACs in stock? that's how I got mine and it sounded mighty fine.
    The Man with the suit and the pace. Knee deep in the dead.

I'm Jerry.

Hmmm, my Gatorised standac with all the mods and a ripple eater linear supply is pretty good. It serves as a pre-amp which a lot of dacs are not capable of.
    I am inclined to wait and see what Stan comes up with next, I guess he has a formidable challenge with the recent crop of well reviewed dac's that have hit the market.
    Jerry

I'm inthescottishmafia.

This dac that Nick has designed and built is easily better than my Standac and my AN dac. It's not a little better, it's a lot better!

Easily the best I've heard in my system.

I'm Jerry.

You have got me tempted now Ali......
    Jerry

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Well worth a punt IMHO Jerry, though not the cheapest as it uses Sowter output transformers, and there's a choke in there too, and iron always adds to the cost. It's bloody good though!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast